Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wifi question

On 6 Oct 2020 at 12:51:28 BST, "Graeme" wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Graeme wrote:

Only one name appears on the list of 'Local Area Connections', and that
name is the same as it always has been, although that means it is not
possible to see whether a device is connected to the original router or
either of the repeaters. The mesh must be working though, as the signal
strength and speed is far better than in was, in areas that had a very
poor signal without the repeaters.

But would a 'non mesh' system with the same number of access points be
just as good - that's the question.

Within my limited knowledge of how these things work, the answer must be
yes, but with the proviso that only the mesh system seamlessly switches
devices from one source to another (i.e. always to the strongest signal)
without any user intervention. But I may have misunderstood.

It may be just as good without mesh, depending on the building. I have one
central modern AP in the house connected by POE, and a cheap AP (also
ethernet, as the servers are there too but old, 2.4GHz only) in a workshop
separated by a four foot thick stone wall. Wifi signals are rarely detected
on the "wrong" side of the wall and only I work in the workshop, so an
inevitable reconnection as I go from one to the other is no problem. I just
use different SSIDs.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:34:00 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

So Graeme's router AP could be that, or are you saying it would
typically have to be a 'Meshing' device itself?

Generally yes, but that might just be a firmware upgrade. For example,
with my Draytek 2862Vac, it currently does not do mesh. However a while
back they released firmware update for it, so that it can become a mesh
root.

Cool. I was thinking that most of it would just be firmware.

So basically you tick the box in the config to say "mesh", then
tell it to look for any mesh devices. It will list any it can see in
wireless range, and allow you to add them to the network. It then
duplicates the SSID etc onto the new devices. It can manage them all as
well, see what wifi clients are on each one, and tell you how many
wireless hops away each AP is.

Handy (for us geeks anyway). ;-)

snip

If they could be obedient / sensible user self installed, I could
connect to his laptop via TV and do any higher level admin if required
/ possible?

Possibly - depending on what kit you go for. The Deco units for example
do their config via an app - and its fairly painless to talk the user
though that.

Ok.

However once the first device is connected to the router,
and you can see its IP address in the routers DHCP list, then you can
also connect to that with a web browser and do stuff.

Cool.

(if he has an android phone then you may also be able to remote control
that - not sure if TV does that yet)

I don't think so, sandboxed etc.

The draytek kit can also configure with an app, or via the router's web
interface, or via their cloud based configuration platform (handy if you
wan central control over multiple clients with multiple sites)

Ok. I don't really like that last option as with some NAS's etc
(Netgear?). I guess it could be useful for some.

One directly on the router (router AP turned off), one on some Cat6 in
the kitchen (replacing existing AP), another on Cat6 in the media room
(replacing existing AP), another in the bedroom (replacing existing
AP) and one on the end of a PowerLine extension to the au-pairs room
(that is currently WiFi at the remote end that I would demote to
Ethernet only)?

Having looked at a few more examples of the kit, unless its hybrid and
designed to use multiple media back haul connections, you are probably
going to find it easiest with one unit hardwired to the router, and
everything else wireless.

So in my mates case, the datapath would be a string, lounge kitchen
(/ bedroom) media room au-pairs room?

Doesn't sound like the throughput / latency would be good, especially
for a device connected to the device on the end of such a chain?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 19:18, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:34:00 +0100, John Rumm

(if he has an android phone then you may also be able to remote control
that - not sure if TV does that yet)

I don't think so, sandboxed etc.

I use ConnectWise, that can view any android device, and remote control
Samsung devices, and can't do anything with iOS! (although OSX and Linux
are fine)

[...]

Mesh devices are usually mimo, so can maintain multiple concurrent
conversations - often with more than one radio so you don't necessarily
get the performance hit that you get with wireless extenders.

You will probably find the devices will find more than just the one
connection though - depending on where you install them.

--
Cheers,

John.