Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default wifi question

On 06/10/2020 19:18, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:34:00 +0100, John Rumm

(if he has an android phone then you may also be able to remote control
that - not sure if TV does that yet)

I don't think so, sandboxed etc.

I use ConnectWise, that can view any android device, and remote control
Samsung devices, and can't do anything with iOS! (although OSX and Linux
are fine)

The draytek kit can also configure with an app, or via the router's web
interface, or via their cloud based configuration platform (handy if you
wan central control over multiple clients with multiple sites)

Ok. I don't really like that last option as with some NAS's etc
(Netgear?). I guess it could be useful for some.

One directly on the router (router AP turned off), one on some Cat6 in
the kitchen (replacing existing AP), another on Cat6 in the media room
(replacing existing AP), another in the bedroom (replacing existing
AP) and one on the end of a PowerLine extension to the au-pairs room
(that is currently WiFi at the remote end that I would demote to
Ethernet only)?

Having looked at a few more examples of the kit, unless its hybrid and
designed to use multiple media back haul connections, you are probably
going to find it easiest with one unit hardwired to the router, and
everything else wireless.

So in my mates case, the datapath would be a string, lounge kitchen
(/ bedroom) media room au-pairs room?

Doesn't sound like the throughput / latency would be good, especially
for a device connected to the device on the end of such a chain?

Mesh devices are usually mimo, so can maintain multiple concurrent
conversations - often with more than one radio so you don't necessarily
get the performance hit that you get with wireless extenders.

You will probably find the devices will find more than just the one
connection though - depending on where you install them.

--
Cheers,

John.