Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default wifi question

On 6 Oct 2020 at 12:51:28 BST, "Graeme" wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
Graeme wrote:

Only one name appears on the list of 'Local Area Connections', and that
name is the same as it always has been, although that means it is not
possible to see whether a device is connected to the original router or
either of the repeaters. The mesh must be working though, as the signal
strength and speed is far better than in was, in areas that had a very
poor signal without the repeaters.

But would a 'non mesh' system with the same number of access points be
just as good - that's the question.

Within my limited knowledge of how these things work, the answer must be
yes, but with the proviso that only the mesh system seamlessly switches
devices from one source to another (i.e. always to the strongest signal)
without any user intervention. But I may have misunderstood.

It may be just as good without mesh, depending on the building. I have one
central modern AP in the house connected by POE, and a cheap AP (also
ethernet, as the servers are there too but old, 2.4GHz only) in a workshop
separated by a four foot thick stone wall. Wifi signals are rarely detected
on the "wrong" side of the wall and only I work in the workshop, so an
inevitable reconnection as I go from one to the other is no problem. I just
use different SSIDs.
--
Roger Hayter