Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bath size soap

You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound submitted this idea :
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable to
find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else noticed
this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

Me, just the one, a freeby from Avon I think - I thought what a silly
idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?

I'm going to get a well-deserved reputation for meanness, but I save up
all the scraps of soap. Once I have enough, I melt them down in an old
saucepan and cast myself a decent bath size tablet. (Use an old plastic
container as a mould, and when the soap has cooled stick it in the
freezer, so it pops out of the mould.) HTH

If you are desperate for bath size tablets, you could do this with new
basin sized tablets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 11:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound submitted this idea :
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

Me, just the one, a freeby from Avon I think - I thought what a silly idea.

until you slipped on the soap...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 11:35, GB wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

No. The soap tablets I see are all bath size, such as green Shield.
Unless you mean the big yellow tablets which are really laundry soap.

(I've noticed that people often talk about "bars" of soap when they mean
"tablets". Bars are long things that you have to cut up; the infants
school I went to had nasty smelling brown bars - fortunately they
usually had the white tablets too.)

I'm going to get a well-deserved reputation for meanness, but I save up
all the scraps of soap. Once I have enough, I melt them down in an old
saucepan and cast myself a decent bath size tablet. (Use an old plastic
container as a mould, and when the soap has cooled stick it in the
freezer, so it pops out of the mould.)* HTH

If you are stingy you can press the thin remains of a tablet onto the
new tablet. You used to get wire cages with a handle you put the scraps
in to shake in the washing up water. There were also small, foam rubber
bags you put the scraps in to wash your face with.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

The soap tablets I see are all bath size, such as green Shield.

I was going to ask does that still exist? But it seems you can even get
NOS green Shield on eBay ...

https://ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=davebarden&_nkw=soap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any particular brand? I have noticed a lot more multipacks around of late,
so you might get 6 smaller bars in a pack.
Mabye its now called large and small or something. I actually wonder why
you need a seperate bar for the bath when its all the same soap and always
ends up too small to use the bit left.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable to
find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else noticed
this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 14:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

The soap tablets I see are all bath size, such as green Shield.

I was going to ask does that still exist?* But it seems you can even get
NOS green Shield on eBay ...

https://ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=davebarden&_nkw=soap

https://groceries.asda.com/product/b...s/910000439265

I have a sort of memory that it used to be mottled. Or maybe it's just
the packaging.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/b...s/910000439265

I have a sort of memory that it used to be mottled.

Striated?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/a6/d3/b0a6d352340a9d186b66641d7072597c.jpg

The packaging must just blend in on the shelf, I would have said I've
not noticed it for years ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian was thinking very hard :
If you are stingy you can press the thin remains of a tablet onto the new
tablet.

Not stingy, but I do try to avoid waste. I break the too thin soap into
bits, pop them in a liquid soap pump thingumy and add some more water.
That resides in the utility, where I usually go to wash my hands after
working in the garage/workshop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian used his keyboard to write :
No. The soap tablets I see are all bath size, such as green Shield. Unless
you mean the big yellow tablets which are really laundry soap.

The last laundry soap I came across was the green Fairy ones I think.
All I have found when looking, is the wash- basin tiny ones, which
don't last long in the bath or shower. Three for a pound, in the pound
shops so not expensive. Even a search online hasn't turned up any 'Bath
soap'.

(I've noticed that people often talk about "bars" of soap when they mean
"tablets". Bars are long things that you have to cut up; the infants school I
went to had nasty smelling brown bars - fortunately they usually had the
white tablets too.)

The 'bar' versus 'tablet' maybe derives from where you were raised. I
have always called them bars. The brown soap, was it Wrights Coal Tar
soap, see through but brown tinted? I quite liked the smell.

I have not seen Lifebouy soap for years and suddenly there are ads
appearing on TV for it in squirty bottles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) used his keyboard to write :
Mabye its now called large and small or something. I actually wonder why
you need a seperate bar for the bath when its all the same soap and always
ends up too small to use the bit left.

Larger bars last longer in the bath and are much easier to find when
you lose them. Proportion of waste from a large bar, before it becomes
unusable will be much greater than a tidgy bar too.

When a bath size becomes worn, it can then always be reassigned to a
wash basin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 17:48, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/b...s/910000439265

I have a sort of memory that it used to be mottled.

Striated?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/a6/d3/b0a6d352340a9d186b66641d7072597c.jpg

The packaging must just blend in on the shelf, I would have said I've
not noticed it for years ...

That's how I remember it. Nowadays it's solid green with _Shield_ across
it (with an underline):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22979049@N07/50288171017/

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 11:36:01 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?

I'm going to get a well-deserved reputation for meanness, but I save up
all the scraps of soap. Once I have enough, I melt them down in an old
saucepan and cast myself a decent bath size tablet. (Use an old plastic
container as a mould, and when the soap has cooled stick it in the
freezer, so it pops out of the mould.) HTH

If you are desperate for bath size tablets, you could do this with new
basin sized tablets.

My mother had a Good Housekeeping book from around 1946/7 which included several such approaches. I think they had how to re-cast soap and making a liquid soap. Quite likely available on the wayback machine...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:49, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:25, newshound wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

me

How many relatives had received it at christmas and then
packaged it up and passed it on to the next relative.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?

Imperial leather used to be in two sizes, but about 15 years ago (maybe
earlier) the 125 gram bath ones were shrunk to 100 grammes and only
became available in packs of four.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

https://groceries.asda.com/product/b...s/910000439265

I have a sort of memory that it used to be mottled.

Striated?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b0/a6/d3/b0a6d352340a9d186b66641d7072597c.jpg

The packaging must just blend in on the shelf, I would have said I've
not noticed it for years ...

That's how I remember it. Nowadays it's solid green with _Shield_ across
it (with an underline):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22979049@N07/50288171017/

Haven't seen proper Pears coal tar soap for years :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 14:46, Andrew wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:49, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:25, newshound wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

me

How many relatives had received it at christmas and then
packaged it up and passed it on to the next relative.

that is what I do but I keep any soap on a rope for myself
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 15:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 31/08/2020 14:46, Andrew wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:49, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:25, newshound wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any
one else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?
me

How many relatives had received it at christmas and then
packaged it up and passed it on to the next relative.

that is what I do but I keep any soap on a rope for myself

....don't buy me any socks and I won't buy you any socks.

I swear the same 'tenner' circulated throughout the family.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem unable
to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one else
noticed this?

You can make your own soap. This is a diy froup after all.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...ake-soap#steps

Ideal Xmas gifts.

As an aside. Does anyone remember the red carbolic soap that was
standard issue in schools?

Brian

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:25, newshound wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

I remember as a kid getting a gift of 'soap on a rope', something in the
shape of a large mouth with teeth. Like Mick Jagger.

So went up to have a bath, and was dismayed to find no suds.

It was a large candy sweet....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2020 12:08, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:25, newshound wrote:
On 30/08/2020 10:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You used to be able to buy small and bath sized soap, but I seem
unable to find any bath size any more, just the small ones - any one
else noticed this?

Who else remembers soap on a rope?

I remember as a kid getting a gift of 'soap on a rope', something in the
shape of a large mouth with teeth. Like Mick Jagger.

So went up to have a bath, and was dismayed to find no suds.

It was a large candy sweet....

haha

Soap pump Not dispensing Soap Kathybgoode Home Repair 0 June 25th 18 11:44 PM
Squirt-bottle (dilute Dawn soap) stopped working; soap clogged it? Removable? David Combs Home Repair 2 January 23rd 13 03:22 PM
Hand/Bath Soap jaygreg Home Ownership 1 December 23rd 06 08:37 PM
Looking for a bath overflow that is flush with the bath surface? Peter UK diy 0 October 18th 05 02:07 PM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM