Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending a ring

Planning to add a mesh to the home network soon, and need an extra power
socket in the kitchen for the unit that will go in there. Most obvious
way to achieve that is by adding a spur to the electric oven's ring.

The ring is fed directly from the CU and has a single socket on it, the
one the oven is plugged into.

Plan is to use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-s...-inserts/29377
wired from the oven's socket, and continuing to another socket that will
feed the power supply for the mesh unit. The mesh unit consumes
negligible current.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe Wrote in message:
Planning to add a mesh to the home network soon, and need an extra power
socket in the kitchen for the unit that will go in there. Most obvious
way to achieve that is by adding a spur to the electric oven's ring.

The ring is fed directly from the CU and has a single socket on it, the
one the oven is plugged into.

Plan is to use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-s...-inserts/29377
wired from the oven's socket, and continuing to another socket that will
feed the power supply for the mesh unit. The mesh unit consumes
negligible current.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Extending the ring is not the same as adding a spur.

Either way I don't see why you need an FSU as long as you wire it
in 2.5mm
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No a spur is like putting a double socket instead of a single one, the ring
is what it says on the tin, so to speak.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

This document should only be read by those persons for whom Paranoia is
normal
and its contents are probably boring and confusing. If you receive this
e-Mail
message in error, do not notify the sender immediately, instead, print it
out and make
paper animals out of it. As the rest of this disclaimer is totally
incomprehensible, we have not bothered to attach it.
"Graham." wrote in message
JoeJoe Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:53:26 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Graham. wrote:

Extending the ring is not the same as adding a spur.

That's if the circuit in question is a 30 A ring and not a 32 A
radial. "Cooker" circuits are normally 32 A radials in 6 mm^2.

Either way I don't see why you need an FSU as long as you wire it
in 2.5mm

You do if it's a 6 mm^2 radial as a single 2.5 mm^2 cable isn't rated
for 32 A.

Personally I'd I'd rather use a "general purpose" ring rather than
hi-jack a "cooker" radial circuit. It may be "safe and legal" but is
unconventional and could well trap the unwary.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Planning to add a mesh to the home network soon, and need an extra power
socket in the kitchen for the unit that will go in there. Most obvious
way to achieve that is by adding a spur to the electric oven's ring.

The ring is fed directly from the CU and has a single socket on it, the
one the oven is plugged into.

I doubt if it's a ring then. What is the rating of the MCB/RCBO in
the CU feeding the oven?

It sounds a bit odd altogether, a dedicated circuit for an oven tends
to be a 32A (or something like that) with a single 4sqmm or 6sqmm feed
to the oven which would be hard wired (i.e. not a plug). The oven
connection unit with the switch on the kitchen wall often has a single
socket for something other than the oven to be plugged in.

Has your oven been changed? I.e. could it have been hard wired once
and changed to one that can be plugged in?

Plan is to use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-s...-inserts/29377
wired from the oven's socket, and continuing to another socket that will
feed the power supply for the mesh unit. The mesh unit consumes
negligible current.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Should be OK, even connected to a dedicated oven circuit, but I'd be
happier knowing exactly what the oven [not] ring circuit actually is.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 29/08/2020, JoeJoe supposed :
Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Ovens are not usually on a ring, they are more usually on a separate
dedicated circuit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/08/2020, JoeJoe supposed :
Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Ovens are not usually on a ring, they are more usually on a separate
dedicated circuit.

That's built-in ovens. Baby Bellings are usually plugged into a 13A outlet

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2020 22:04, JoeJoe wrote:
Planning to add a mesh to the home network soon, and need an extra power
socket in the kitchen for the unit that will go in there. Most obvious
way to achieve that is by adding a spur to the electric oven's ring.

The ring is fed directly from the CU and has a single socket on it, the
one the oven is plugged into.

Plan is to use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-s...-inserts/29377

wired from the oven's socket, and continuing to another socket that will
feed the power supply for the mesh unit. The mesh unit consumes
negligible current.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Correction (my mistake, got mixed up and should have checked before
posting):

The oven is indeed (as indicated here) hard wired rather than plugged
into a socket. In fact I replaced the oven myself a few years back and
forgot all about it...

It does have its own circuit - not sure about the cable rating (can
empty the cupboard it is in and check if it matters?), and protected by
a 32A breaker in the CU.

All was done properly (I hope...) and signed off when we had an
extension built a few years go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/08/2020, JoeJoe supposed :
Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Ovens are not usually on a ring, they are more usually on a separate
dedicated circuit.

That was what I meant, just used the wrong terminology.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe Wrote in message:
[...]

In that case, in general, you are still allowed a single (not a
dual-gang) socket and it only costs you 5A in the diversity
calculation. You won't fall foul of that if the oven radial is
6mm. Use 2.5mm to the socket, no fused spur unit required

Disclaimer, IANAE, one will be along in a moment to mark my work.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6mm. Use 2.5mm to the socket, no fused spur unit required

Disclaimer, IANAE, one will be along in a moment to mark my work.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On second thoughts the MCB is 20A so you will need a fuse with a
2.5mm spur. WTF is Adam?

--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 10:48, charles wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 29/08/2020, JoeJoe supposed :
Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Ovens are not usually on a ring, they are more usually on a separate
dedicated circuit.

That's built-in ovens. Baby Bellings are usually plugged into a 13A outlet

A fair few single fitted ovens are rate 13 A or less and can be plugged
in. It's a pain that others (especially the better ones) ate 16 A:
tempting but ...

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 11:40:56 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
WTF is Adam?

On a Sunday morning?

In bed with girlfriend, I would assume.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 30/08/2020 11:40, Graham. wrote:

6mm. Use 2.5mm to the socket, no fused spur unit required

Disclaimer, IANAE, one will be along in a moment to mark my work.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On second thoughts the MCB is 20A so you will need a fuse with a
2.5mm spur. WTF is Adam?

No fuse needed as the overload protection is provided by the load on the
socket.

So in theory no different to a 2.5mm unfused spur off a 32A (2.5mm) ring
or 32A (4mm) radial socket circuit.

18th edition demands that the socket is RCD protected and the oven
circuit may not be.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 14:38:47 UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
That's built-in ovens. Baby Bellings are usually plugged into a 13A outlet

When we bought this house, the Rayburn was supplemented by a hard-wired
Baby Belling. It now has a plug on it (for occasional emergency use),
and a proper, dual-fuel cooker has been installed.

Baby Bellings came in two versions, one for a plug and one for hard-wiring. The plug version had an interlock between one of the rings and the oven to restrict the tital lload.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 14:33, ARW wrote:
On 30/08/2020 11:40, Graham. wrote:

Â* 6mm. Use 2.5mm to the socket, no fused spur unit required

Disclaimer,Â* IANAE, one will be along in a moment to mark my work.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On second thoughts the MCB is 20A so you will need a fuse with a
Â* 2.5mm spur. WTF is Adam?

No fuse needed as the overload protection is provided by the load on the
socket.

So in theory no different to a 2.5mm unfused spur off a 32A (2.5mm) ring
or 32A (4mm) radial socket circuit.

18th edition demands that the socket is RCD protected and the oven
circuit may not be.

Thanks!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 14:29:21 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
In bed with girlfriend, I would assume.

Fitting emergency lights for Geoff in Watford actually.

Never heard it called that before.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 09:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 01:53:26 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Graham. wrote:

Extending the ring is not the same as adding a spur.

That's if the circuit in question is a 30 A ring and not a 32 A
radial. "Cooker" circuits are normally 32 A radials in 6 mm^2.

Either way I don't see why you need an FSU as long as you wire it
in 2.5mm

You do if it's a 6 mm^2 radial as a single 2.5 mm^2 cable isn't rated
for 32 A.

It does not need to be if all its feeding is a socket. The situation is
no different from a 32A circuit feeding a spur. The overcurrent
protection is implicit in the restriction on the load imposed by the
requirement it feed no more than one single or double socket.

Personally I'd I'd rather use a "general purpose" ring rather than
hi-jack a "cooker" radial circuit. It may be "safe and legal" but is
unconventional and could well trap the unwary.

Fewer surprises are good. Although a label on the CU declaring what the
MCB feeds would be a satisfactory mitigation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Extending ring mains Grant UK diy 51 September 13th 05 03:52 PM
Extending ring main s--p--o--n--i--x UK diy 3 June 14th 05 09:18 PM
Extending a ring main with junction boxes Rob UK diy 25 April 21st 05 10:17 PM
Extending socket circuit to a ring? Chris UK diy 16 October 13th 03 09:47 AM
extending a ring main Paul Draper UK diy 7 July 4th 03 07:43 PM