Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default Extending a ring

On 29/08/2020 22:04, JoeJoe wrote:
Planning to add a mesh to the home network soon, and need an extra power
socket in the kitchen for the unit that will go in there. Most obvious
way to achieve that is by adding a spur to the electric oven's ring.

The ring is fed directly from the CU and has a single socket on it, the
one the oven is plugged into.

Plan is to use one of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-s...-inserts/29377

wired from the oven's socket, and continuing to another socket that will
feed the power supply for the mesh unit. The mesh unit consumes
negligible current.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it this way?

Correction (my mistake, got mixed up and should have checked before
posting):

The oven is indeed (as indicated here) hard wired rather than plugged
into a socket. In fact I replaced the oven myself a few years back and
forgot all about it...

It does have its own circuit - not sure about the cable rating (can
empty the cupboard it is in and check if it matters?), and protected by
a 32A breaker in the CU.

All was done properly (I hope...) and signed off when we had an
extension built a few years go.