Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preventing black mould

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 02:32:13 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Ronseal do an Anti Mould Paint for walls and ceilings, matt white. It's done a good jpb
here where it was needed.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Isn't the trick to add aspirin or colloidal silver to the paint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 12:06, alan_m wrote:
[...]

he is asking you...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 12:09, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...esistant_Paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 August 2020 10:32:15 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Yes, it can regrow. Those paint additives in the link have worked for me.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Bleach isn't particularly effective, better to use proprietary mould and
mildew cleaner. We have some I bought from Lidl which has proven far
more effective and long lasting than bleach.

Mike