DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Preventing black mould (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/679404-preventing-black-mould.html)

Tricky Dicky[_4_] August 28th 20 10:32 AM

Preventing black mould

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Paul Herber[_3_] August 28th 20 11:36 AM

Preventing black mould

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 02:32:13 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky wrote:

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Ronseal do an Anti Mould Paint for walls and ceilings, matt white. It's done a good jpb
here where it was needed.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

alan_m August 28th 20 12:06 PM

Preventing black mould

On 28/08/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Isn't the trick to add aspirin or colloidal silver to the paint?

Jim GM4 DHJ ... August 28th 20 12:09 PM

Preventing black mould

On 28/08/2020 12:06, alan_m wrote:
[...]

he is asking you...tee hee

alan_m August 28th 20 05:49 PM

Preventing black mould

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...esistant_Paint

[email protected] August 29th 20 01:42 PM

Preventing black mould

On Friday, 28 August 2020 10:32:15 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Yes, it can regrow. Those paint additives in the link have worked for me.

NT

MuddyMike August 31st 20 01:10 PM

Preventing black mould

On 28/08/2020 10:32, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Having finally removed the last vestiges of the former kitchen, I can now get at the mould that was previously inaccessible. I have removed the cause of the moisture which was not condensation as previously thought but a slight hidden leak. The plan is to douse the affected area with bleach to kill off the spores and hopefully that will be the end of it. As a belt and braces effort I will paint the affected wall before fitting the cupboards. Can anyone advise me regards suitable paint? I recall anti-mould paints in the past but cannot see anything like that now, do all modern paints have anti-mould properties? Parts of the affected area need a skim of plaster is there a chance after bleaching that mould will come through new plaster?

Richard

Bleach isn't particularly effective, better to use proprietary mould and
mildew cleaner. We have some I bought from Lidl which has proven far
more effective and long lasting than bleach.

Mike