Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rusting gatepost - crazy repair idea

This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

What do members of the panel think!?

what state are the parts with the actual gate-hangers in?

if they're ok, I's say the concrete idea should work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk writes
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that
easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I
can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off
having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and
even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

Perfectly sound post:if a little agricultural:-)

Rods and a stiff sand cement mix would do no harm.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 19:04, Murmansk wrote:
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

What about using an old piece of scaffolding inside instead of rebar if
you have any?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2020 19:04:52 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

concrete alone has no tensile strength. With rods it does. It'll all soon rot out though. Better to weld something on.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, seems almost as much work as actually putting in a new one if I might
say. I cannot see it obviously, but have seen the effect coastal locations
has on metal bits. Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy
to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't
see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have
it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting
in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 11:04:48 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk wrote:

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

Wrap it in duct tape, pour in the strongest cementitious well-flowing gloop you
can find or mix, pound in a rod or three, or a bit of old 1/2" pipe, angle iron,
whatever, let set. Remove tape if going for a posh repair. I would not omit the
rods/pipe/rebar, and check to see that they reach into the ground.

I have done something similar, round post rusted at the bottom. Only I thought
the cement might not flow all the way down. So I used expanding foam instead,
three 6mm rods, capped the pipe with a cement cone, and eventually painted the
lot. This temporary bodge has held up for over 20 years. (However: no salt,
little load.)

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 19:16, Andy Burns wrote:
Murmansk wrote:

What do members of the panel think!?

what state are the parts with the actual gate-hangers in?

if they're ok, I's say the concrete idea should work

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 22:07:39 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal

location I
can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off
having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with

concrete and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the
concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

What about using an old piece of scaffolding inside instead of rebar if
you have any?

If scaff will fit I think that would be my choice, surounded and
filled by a fairly runny sharp snad/cement mix agitated down to get
rid of any air pockets . Even better if the scaff can reach a foot,
preferably more, below ground level.

But it really depends on how sound the post is near the hinge pins.
If that isn't good it'd be better to replace the post. Then a good
wire brushing and a couple of coats of hammerite.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk was thinking very hard :
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy
to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't
see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it
replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in
some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

You will be struggling to get the concrete to flow down to the bottom.
I would suggest not possible at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You will be struggling to get the concrete to flow down to the bottom. I
would suggest not possible at all.

vibrate the post with e.g a recip saw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 10:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You will be struggling to get the concrete to flow down to the bottom.
I would suggest not possible at all.

vibrate the post with e.g a recip saw

Dry mix?

The base of post looks firm and will resist leaning pressure when a fill
goes in. Someone else said they got 20 years out of fix.

Do you want a clean resolution? I ask because I notice the gate and
various edges in the background look clean. If so then break it out and
put new in.

If time, money, and health are no problem, it's a good project. A nice
big 6ft breaker bar will work the upper body well. :-)

Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 21:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that
easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I
can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off
having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete
and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

Perfectly sound post:if a little agricultural:-)

Rods and a stiff sand cement mix would do no harm.

The post is just a bit rusty. I can't see any holes.

On the same subject, a significant number of the street
signs line speed limits and signage seem to be on the
point of falling over (many have) because the mild steel
pole was plastic coated, or painted with some sort of
plastic paint. all the damage has occurred at or near
ground level, from about 18 inches up the post is sound.
These were all installed in the 1970s when huge numbers
of nice old cast-iron direction and speed limit signs
were 'upgraded'.

I could walk around places like Worthing and topple over
many speed limit signs by hand
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 10:34, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Murmansk was thinking very hard :
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy
to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location I can't
see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off having to have it
replaced I thought about filling it with concrete and even maybe putting in
some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

You will be struggling to get the concrete to flow down to the bottom.
I would suggest not possible at all.

So add more water to give it more slump. It really won't affect the
strength for this purpose. From the Wiki on Concrete: "Modern concrete
is usually prepared as a viscous fluid, so that it may be poured into
forms, which are containers erected in the field to give the concrete
its desired shape."

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 13:31, Andrew wrote:
On 06/08/2020 21:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
Murmansk writes
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all
that easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

Given the state of the thing and the fact it's in a coastal location
I can't see it lasting all that much longer but in a bid to put off
having to have it replaced I thought about filling it with concrete
and even maybe putting in some rods to reinforce the concrete.

What do members of the panel think!?

Perfectly sound post:if a little agricultural:-)

Rods and a stiff sand cement mix would do no harm.

The post is just a bit rusty. I can't see any holes.

Snip

Hmm, and I thought I saw a huge hole and thinning shell. I now see I'm
mistaken. So, I'm amending my previous advice and agree with another on
here who said, clean it up, coat it and then a good lick of paint.

Ray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RayL12 wrote:

I thought I saw a huge hole

I think you *did* see (several) holes, the O/P said they're there, the
black areas look like holes to me ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 19:04, Murmansk wrote:
This gatepost has some serious rust holes in it - they're not all that easy to see on this photo but they're about 8cm across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yAio4Sb7mvqvwmEq7

What do members of the panel think!?

They aren't easy to see, true. Bearing in mind the thing is upright, why
not just de-rust what's there, and paint it again and job done? It would
look nice, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP here

Thanks for those contributions

All in all I think I'll give it a go as it's got a fair bit of strength in it currently and the hinge attachment points are OK.

If anyone wants to see it this is a link to an edited version of the photo with the contrast adjusted so you can see the holes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qNcT2vUvVk8KWYnZA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 15:53:28 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I thought I saw a huge hole

I think you *did* see (several) holes, the O/P said they're there, the
black areas look like holes to me ...

The deep black areas look like holes to me as well. The black paint
is weathered/algae streaked. One hole at ground level, some weathered
paint, and few more holes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 20:06, Murmansk wrote:
OP here

Thanks for those contributions

All in all I think I'll give it a go as it's got a fair bit of strength in it currently and the hinge attachment points are OK.

If anyone wants to see it this is a link to an edited version of the photo with the contrast adjusted so you can see the holes

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qNcT2vUvVk8KWYnZA

Hm. Since the black bits I had thought were patches of paint adhering to
the rust seem in fact to be holes, I might be tempted to consider
replacing the post, if not now, sometime in the next few years.

OTOH, it seems that something, perhaps a timber wall plate, was attached
to the brickwork shown, and the (or a) gate may have been attached to
that. Are the old ways the best, or possible? It might tidy the job up.
Hard to tell without a more scenic pic to look at the whole thing in
context.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 15:53, Andy Burns wrote:
RayL12 wrote:

I thought I saw a huge hole

I think you *did* see (several) holes, the O/P said they're there, the
black areas look like holes to me ...

Yeah, Andy, I'm up to scratch. When I did concede to thinking I was
looking at dense black paint, I did think how well it has stood up over
time. :-)

Ray.

Concreting in a gatepost. Roger Hayter[_2_] UK diy 8 May 22nd 20 09:05 AM
Gate with one gatepost Roger Hayter[_2_] UK diy 15 May 13th 20 10:41 PM
Using House Foundation Wall as Gatepost? WandererFan Home Repair 6 November 1st 10 12:14 AM
Gatepost movement cf-leeds UK diy 7 May 29th 10 11:50 AM
Windows, crazy facts, crazy idea Chris Ferraro Home Ownership 3 June 17th 09 03:00 PM