Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gate with one gatepost

I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a
commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks
for any thoughts.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2020 12:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a
commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks
for any thoughts.

Does it have to open in both directions, or only one? If the latter,
could you adapt one of these, but with the pin mounted vertically on the
top of the wall? Granted, that might not be considered aesthetic.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gate-... gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternatively a bolt going into the wall?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If your gate has a flat top a block of wood attached to the top and one of these will work

https://www.e-hardware.co.uk/5603501...alvanised.html

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 13/05/2020 12:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a
commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks
for any thoughts.

Does it have to open in both directions, or only one? If the latter, could
you adapt one of these, but with the pin mounted vertically on the top of
the wall? Granted, that might not be considered aesthetic.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gate-...K-PLA-DS3A-_-g
oogle-_-CSS_UK_EN_Enclosures_%26_Storage_%26_Material_Hand ling_Whoop-_-Gat
e+Latches_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-506040704084&gclid=CjwKCAjw
te71BRBCEiwAU_V9h8hoGiaVqdbN8IaaZ-c43rxIECeAWyAI0mweNTXwfQqRvTXNDx_g3xoCdU
kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternatively a bolt going into the wall?

Unfortunately the wall is loose slate stones and not solid so any free
side fitting will have be cantilevered out from the hinge side post or
from something buried int he path inside the wall. Not impossible, so
thanks for the suggestion. But if I am doing this a bolt would work
too.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

If your gate has a flat top a block of wood attached to the top and one of
these will work

https://www.e-hardware.co.uk/5603501...-galvanised.ht
ml

Richard

If mounted hinge side it would have to be about three times as long and
very rigid to keep the gate closed. I am thinking a similar loop made
of 3 X 2 sides and hinged with a bolt through the gatepost might work,
although it would be a bit heavy, and need lifting above head height to
open.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Unfortunately the wall is loose slate stones and not solid so any free
side fitting will have be cantilevered out from the hinge side post or
from something buried int he path inside the wall. Not impossible, so
thanks for the suggestion. But if I am doing this a bolt would work
too.

A bolt that goes into a hole in the ground, like the bolts you get on a pair
of gates/doors where one locks and the other is only openable once the
locking one is open and gives access to the bolt? It would depend how high
the wall is as to whether there's enough space to stow it in the 'up'
position and swing it over the wall.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Unfortunately the wall is loose slate stones and not solid so any free
side fitting will have be cantilevered out from the hinge side post or
from something buried int he path inside the wall. Not impossible, so
thanks for the suggestion. But if I am doing this a bolt would work
too.

A bolt that goes into a hole in the ground, like the bolts you get on a pair
of gates/doors where one locks and the other is only openable once the
locking one is open and gives access to the bolt? It would depend how high
the wall is as to whether there's enough space to stow it in the 'up'
position and swing it over the wall.

Theo

The wall top is at ground level and the gate swings over it. So I
either need a plate with a bolt hole that goes over the top of the wall
or a big loop of metal or wood that extends from the gatepost of keep
the gate closed.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way,

Yep, a fixed plate at the hinge end of the gate with a pin thru the plate
and part of the gate that stops it opening unless the pin is raised.

a commercial product,

Havent bothered to look but I'd be surprised if there isnt.

or experience of something that works?
Many thanks for any thoughts.

Even brain farts ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

That should work well and easy to have a long bolt down the
free side of the gate so you don’t have to bend down to let
the gate open.

or a big loop of metal or wood that extends from the gatepost of keep
the gate closed.

Too clumsy for me, particularly if the gate top is at something like chest
height.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2020 05:31:28 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2020 05:07:50 +1000, Jake56, better known as cantankerous

Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 12:21:33 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a
commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks
for any thoughts.

Multiple options exist. gis a picture or we don't know the setup or issues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2020 21:45:00 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2020 12:21:31 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has
to remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small
dog) but simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way,
a commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many
thanks for any thoughts.

I did this a couple of years ago with a pair of saloon door hinges and
the gate has survived a couple of winters. (The fence it was attached
to has not, but that is another story.)

I presume all saloon door hinges have adjustable tension springs but in
this case I could crank it up so it would give way to the force-28
gales we have around our way but not give way easily to the cocker
spaniel.

HTH

Nick

Thanks. What i like about this group is when someone gives you a name
for something i vaguely knew existed but didn't know what to look for.
Sounds like the ideal answer!

BTW, the long bolts that go into a hole in the ground are called drop
bolts.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Gate Intercom wiring troubleshooting - fuse blown in gate controller now connected. Phantome46 UK diy 0 January 19th 20 03:14 PM
table lamp with two lights one outside and one inside body ,if one litghts up the other one is dim Renee Adair Home Repair 6 October 14th 17 03:44 PM
Using House Foundation Wall as Gatepost? WandererFan Home Repair 6 November 1st 10 12:14 AM
Gatepost movement cf-leeds UK diy 7 May 29th 10 11:50 AM
One Tool, One Type of Turning, One Wood OR Keep Exploring? charlieb Woodturning 25 August 14th 07 10:50 AM