Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gate with one gatepost

On Wed, 13 May 2020 21:45:00 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2020 12:21:31 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has
to remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small
dog) but simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way,
a commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many
thanks for any thoughts.

I did this a couple of years ago with a pair of saloon door hinges and
the gate has survived a couple of winters. (The fence it was attached
to has not, but that is another story.)

I presume all saloon door hinges have adjustable tension springs but in
this case I could crank it up so it would give way to the force-28
gales we have around our way but not give way easily to the cocker
spaniel.

HTH

Nick

Thanks. What i like about this group is when someone gives you a name
for something i vaguely knew existed but didn't know what to look for.
Sounds like the ideal answer!

BTW, the long bolts that go into a hole in the ground are called drop
bolts.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org