Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gatepost movement

Hi,

I installed some wooden driveway gates a couple of years back and for
the posts used some 7" x 7" tanalised timber, which are secured with
post-mix. They are about 5' 5" above ground.

I've noticed that the gates are starting to not meet in the middle
quite as well, with a slight vertical mis-alignment. i.e. the gates
align in the middle at the bottom, but at the top, there's a 10mm gap.

After investigating, I've found that one of my posts is starting to
twist length-ways. I'm astonished, as these posts are rock-solid and I
thought they'd see me out. The twist is quite significant and clearly
visible if you scan your eyes up and down the length of the post.

Does anyone know why this has happened ? Is it due to weather ? Will
it get even worse ?

I can move a hinge sideways to compensate, but if it gets worse, then
maybe I'll have to dig out the post somehow :^( - doesn't bear
thinking about.

Anyone else seen this ? The very reason I bought such hefty posts was
to avoid any movement.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

Kiln dried timber does that, which is why my gate posts are brick.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

well, sadly, the bigger the post the more movement.

Sounds like they are just very wet and slowly drying out.

Wood is wood. Wood moves summer to winter. Get used to it and adjust the
best you can..

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 May, 15:08, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

Your gate posts are green timber. If they have been badly cut from the
log, the shrinkage as they dry can be uneven so causing the twist.
This is normal. Gates are normally hung from adjustable hinges to get
round this. This takes the the form of the top hook being a long bolt
drilled right through the post with a nut on the end for adjustment.
If you haven't fitted adjustable hinges you're stuffed mate. They
often move for up to a year.
The gates themselves can twist and move too.
This the sort of thing I mean:-

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...tshow&ref=C590

You need to go to your local fencing supplier or agricultural
merchant.
Some are plate mounted and some have long bolts and drive in spikes.
The plate mounted one look better but cost more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 28 May, 15:08, cf-leeds wrote:
[...]

Er.. the conventional wisdom is a year per inch of thickness.

My green oak timbers are still shrinking after 10 years.. up to about an
inch overall on a 12x12.

The gates themselves can twist and move too.
This the sort of thing I mean:-

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...tshow&ref=C590

You need to go to your local fencing supplier or agricultural
merchant.
Some are plate mounted and some have long bolts and drive in spikes.
The plate mounted one look better but cost more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/cli...hp?app=gbu0&ns....

� You need to go to your local fencing supplier or agricultural
merchant.
Some are plate mounted and some have long bolts and drive in spikes.
The plate mounted one look better but cost more.- Hide quoted text -

Further to above. You will need to be careful exactly which hinge you
get, the post may not be installed in the optimum position for
adjustable hinges. You will need to decide whether to fit new hinges
on the face of the posts or the soffit. Careful measuring and thought
needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 2:08 am, cf-leeds wrote:

I can move a hinge sideways to compensate, but if it gets worse, then
maybe I'll have to dig out the post somehow :^( - doesn't bear
thinking about.

My posts have twisted too.
To twist the post around in the ground, attach a piece of 4x2 a couple
of yards long to the post using several clamps and pull on it.
Afterwards bash the ground around the post with a sledgehammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2010 07:08:49 -0700 (PDT), cf-leeds
wrote:

Hi,

I installed some wooden driveway gates a couple of years back and for
the posts used some 7" x 7" tanalised timber, which are secured with
post-mix. They are about 5' 5" above ground.

I've noticed that the gates are starting to not meet in the middle
quite as well, with a slight vertical mis-alignment. i.e. the gates
align in the middle at the bottom, but at the top, there's a 10mm gap.

After investigating, I've found that one of my posts is starting to
twist length-ways. I'm astonished, as these posts are rock-solid and I
thought they'd see me out. The twist is quite significant and clearly
visible if you scan your eyes up and down the length of the post.

Does anyone know why this has happened ? Is it due to weather ? Will
it get even worse ?

It is because you used softwood timber posts. With timber, there is
always going to be a risk of twisting. Gone are the days when you
could easily get well-seasoned oak that was less likely to twist.

For heavy gates I always specify steel posts made of square or
rectangular hollow section with the hinge pivots welded on, then the
whole thing is either hot dipped galvanised or shotblasted and painted
with the stuff they used recently on the Forth Bridge (railway bridge)
with a 30-40 year life. In a couple of cases the gates have been clad
with brick or timber to give the appearance of a brick pillar/timber
gatepost respectively.

Movement Movement Piece Video charlieb Woodturning 0 October 22nd 09 06:51 AM
Let's Try Again - Join The Movement Movement? For Free? charlieb Woodturning 4 August 11th 09 04:33 PM
wood movement Carl E. Wasmuth, Jr. Woodworking 4 August 17th 07 12:16 AM
wood movement Vic Baron Woodworking 13 June 16th 05 05:43 AM
Wood movement Dave Jackson Woodworking 2 February 5th 05 04:50 PM