Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Gate with one gatepost

newshound wrote:

On 13/05/2020 12:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
I need to fit a small gate to a single post with the gate's free side
over the top of a retaining wall with no (practical or aesthetically
satisfactory) way of fitting a post on the free side. The gate has to
remain fairly robustly shut (resistant to the weight of a small dog) but
simply openable by a human.

I can think of one or two ways to do this but is there a standard way, a
commercial product, or experience of something that works? Many thanks
for any thoughts.

Does it have to open in both directions, or only one? If the latter, could
you adapt one of these, but with the pin mounted vertically on the top of
the wall? Granted, that might not be considered aesthetic.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/gate-...K-PLA-DS3A-_-g
oogle-_-CSS_UK_EN_Enclosures_%26_Storage_%26_Material_Hand ling_Whoop-_-Gat
e+Latches_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-506040704084&gclid=CjwKCAjw
te71BRBCEiwAU_V9h8hoGiaVqdbN8IaaZ-c43rxIECeAWyAI0mweNTXwfQqRvTXNDx_g3xoCdU
kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alternatively a bolt going into the wall?

Unfortunately the wall is loose slate stones and not solid so any free
side fitting will have be cantilevered out from the hinge side post or
from something buried int he path inside the wall. Not impossible, so
thanks for the suggestion. But if I am doing this a bolt would work
too.
--

Roger Hayter