Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS died?

My SDS (Lucky Screwfix Hedgehog) has started making a loud chattering noise, there seems to be a lot of play on the bits sliding in and out of the SDS chuck, and it's not chiselling as effectively as it did.

Has it passed over the rainbow bridge to the great toolshed in the sky?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2020 16:22:04 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
My SDS (Lucky Screwfix Hedgehog) has started making a loud chattering noise,

Has it been greased?

Not since it left the Lucky Hedgehog factory in July 2013. I don't remember any instructions about greasing.

I suppose for £50 and 7 years it doesn't owe me anything.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2020 17:08:54 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Wasn't there a plastic tub of grease in the case/box?

No.

Dip your bit a few times & try it before you bin it?

Will do if I can find some grease. It goes in okay, it just doesn't seem to be gripped by the SDS mechanism in the usual way. It's captive and locks for turning, but rattly.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 09:56, alan_m wrote:
On 26/07/2020 17:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 08:15:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My SDS (Lucky Screwfix Hedgehog) has started making a loud chattering
noise, there seems to be a lot of play on the bits sliding in and out
of the SDS chuck, and it's not chiselling as effectively as it did.

My green Bosch rattles a bit if there is little or no pressure on the
bit and the action is not very effecctive. Comes a point as you
increase pressure that it suddenly "tightens up" and works as it
should.

All sds drills work that way. The action doesn't really start working
until there is slight pressure on the bit. The drill mechanism hits the
bit forward and you pushing the bit into the work piece pushes the bit
backwards to be hit again by the drill mechanism. If not drilling into
anything the mechanism pushes the bit as far forward as it can and then
retracts back but nothing is pushing the bit back into the chuck
therefore on the next cycle the mechanism is not hitting the back of the
bit (or is just lightly tapping the fully extended bit).

I've often found situations (like nibbling something away) where a
return spring would be useful. I try to use my hand but an external
clip-on sprinq would better - never thought of it before but it should
be easy to knock-up something suitable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 27 July 2020 12:06:58 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Grease seems to be the norm in spite of the fact that it will collect
abrasive dust (although also it provides something of a seal). Graphite
is not the best product for high loads, moly disulphide is better.

Not having any of those, I've tried a squirt of beard oil. It smells nice :-0

It's a bit less rattly, but as it suddenly started rattling, I think something inside is broken. Nothing's fallen out though.

It's a shame as Screwfies have stopped that model and all the others are bigger/heavier/pricier. 3.5kg was just right for what I need it for.

Owain

SDS+ & SDS max Tricky Dicky[_4_] UK diy 7 May 13th 18 12:23 PM
SDS+ - SDS Max adaptor? Nick UK diy 9 April 11th 18 12:19 PM
Will an SDS drill take SDS+ bits H. Neary UK diy 3 April 22nd 11 11:41 AM
SDS vs SDS Plus Chris Styles UK diy 11 October 17th 06 09:18 PM
SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus Seri UK diy 25 March 6th 04 10:43 AM