Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS vs SDS Plus

My bog standard Bosch drill is finally nearing the end of its working life,
so it is time to look for replacements.

I'd like to get an SDS because I'll be doing a lot of chasing into walls,
and it seem like just the ticket, and it also seems that SDS is also more up
to the job of lots of masonry drilling.

Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions about buying using SDS drills?

Screwfix have a number of offers including a Bosch "GBH-2-24 DSR" 2kg SDS.
Oddly it weighs 2.4kg, so should I assume that the "2kg" relates to
something other than the weight of the drill itself?

Lastly, what are the major differenences between SDS and SDS Plus, is one
better than the other, and is there anything I should consider when choosing
between them? The £99 Bosch jobbie from Screwfix is SDS plus, and is
currently ahead in the polls!

Thanks,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
My bog standard Bosch drill is finally nearing the end of its working
life, so it is time to look for replacements.

I'd like to get an SDS because I'll be doing a lot of chasing into walls,
and it seem like just the ticket, and it also seems that SDS is also more
up to the job of lots of masonry drilling.

Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions about buying using SDS
drills?

Screwfix have a number of offers including a Bosch "GBH-2-24 DSR" 2kg SDS.
Oddly it weighs 2.4kg, so should I assume that the "2kg" relates to
something other than the weight of the drill itself?

Lastly, what are the major differenences between SDS and SDS Plus, is one
better than the other, and is there anything I should consider when
choosing between them? The £99 Bosch jobbie from Screwfix is SDS plus, and
is currently ahead in the polls!

SDS+ lets you chisel without drilling, if you see what I mean. What you'll
want for chasing walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:

I'd like to get an SDS because I'll be doing a lot of chasing into walls,
and it seem like just the ticket, and it also seems that SDS is also more up
to the job of lots of masonry drilling.

Good plan.

Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions about buying using SDS drills?

Buy a DeWalt, Blue Bosch, or Makita. Get one with roto stop.

Screwfix have a number of offers including a Bosch "GBH-2-24 DSR" 2kg SDS.
Oddly it weighs 2.4kg, so should I assume that the "2kg" relates to
something other than the weight of the drill itself?

It just refers to the approximate weight of the machine. They come in
2kg, 4kg, 6kg etc. 2kg are the most flexible.

Lastly, what are the major differenences between SDS and SDS Plus, is one
better than the other, and is there anything I should consider when choosing
between them? The £99 Bosch jobbie from Screwfix is SDS plus, and is
currently ahead in the polls!

SDS is a superset which contains SDS Plus and SDS Max. SDS Plus is what
all the machines you are considering use, every one of them. SDS Max is
a much larger fitting, around 20mm diameter.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I got this Hitachi from this guy http://tinyurl.com/ykyujp (link goes to an
ebay shop) and it's superb - and believe me, I ain't half given it some
wellie since I got it and it's never complained or let me down once. Highly
recommended.

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I got this Hitachi from this guy http://tinyurl.com/ykyujp (link goes to an
ebay shop) and it's superb - and believe me, I ain't half given it some
wellie since I got it and it's never complained or let me down once. Highly
recommended.

The few Hitachi tools I own or have used, I rate very highly.

However what is it with this new "power ranger" livery all their stuff
comes in these days? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Screwfix have a number of offers including a Bosch "GBH-2-24 DSR" 2kg
SDS. Oddly it weighs 2.4kg, so should I assume that the "2kg" relates to
something other than the weight of the drill itself?

It just refers to the approximate weight of the machine. They come in 2kg,
4kg, 6kg etc. 2kg are the most flexible.

Also, it is sometimes used erroneously in place of "joules" for impact
energy, which is often similar to the weight in kg. I don't think Screwfix
makes this mistake, though.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

The few Hitachi tools I own or have used, I rate very highly.

However what is it with this new "power ranger" livery all their stuff
comes in these days? ;-)

Isn't it repulsive? Being a total snob, that alone would put me off buying
their current kit: looks like bottom-dollar Chinese stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-17 20:13:12 +0100, "rrh" said:

The few Hitachi tools I own or have used, I rate very highly.

However what is it with this new "power ranger" livery all their stuff
comes in these days? ;-)

Isn't it repulsive? Being a total snob, that alone would put me off
buying their current kit: looks like bottom-dollar Chinese stuff.

I agree

The product manager should be sacked.

Quality products should have good function, mechanics and ergonomics
and service.

If the manufacturer can't sell and deliver on that, they should not be
in the business.

There is no need for boy racer stuff. That's for Argos and equivalent places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

The few Hitachi tools I own or have used, I rate very highly.

However what is it with this new "power ranger" livery all their
stuff comes in these days? ;-)

Isn't it repulsive? Being a total snob, that alone would put me off
buying their current kit: looks like bottom-dollar Chinese stuff.

I agree

The product manager should be sacked.

Or at least get a free pint of whatever it is he is drinking!

Quality products should have good function, mechanics and ergonomics and
service.

Which it seems the *do* have...

If the manufacturer can't sell and deliver on that, they should not be
in the business.

Their job here does seem to be harder than it otherwise might be due to
their previous positioning in the market. There was a time when they
made no attempt to market to end users at all, and postioned themselves
as a trade only supplier. Now I can't tell if that is still the case and
they are just trying to generate more attention in this market, or if
they are trying to push into the retail/end user market.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-17 20:36:49 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

I really don't know.

If you look across the quality brands ( Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Festool)
they position there products with quite plain labelling and appearance.
DW is yellow which is noticable, but the others don't do appearance
stuff.

Even the Techtronics Ryobi brand doesn't try this, but delegates it to
the Techtronics Power Devil brand or its OEM products.

I suspect that Hitachi doesn't have a good market share in comparison
to the other quality brands, so the product managers are wondering what
to do next. Doing boy racer stuff might achieve something but doesn't
build market share in the quality market. They will need to do the
difficult things to achieve that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

If you look across the quality brands ( Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Festool)
they position there products with quite plain labelling and appearance.
DW is yellow which is noticable, but the others don't do appearance stuff.

Ahem

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-M....4V-377709.htm

Makita seem to think the Hitachi go-faster stripes are the way to go.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-10-17 21:03:48 +0100, Grunff said:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you look across the quality brands ( Makita, Bosch, DeWalt, Festool)
they position there products with quite plain labelling and appearance.
DW is yellow which is noticable, but the others don't do appearance
stuff.

Ahem

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-M....4V-377709.htm

Makita

seem to think the Hitachi go-faster stripes are the way to go.

Missed that one.

Certainly there needs to be some sackings in the marketing departments
of these companies.

They produce good products and service and then, as we've seen put
together packs of cheap drill bits, screwdrivers etc. in an attempt to
add bundle "value"

I suspect that these are all 23 year olds with no clue. I think that
I need to get them together and explain to them how to do marketing
properly and how not to cock up a brand. It's not difficult.