Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS+ - SDS Max adaptor?

Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.
The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill. That
seems rather a shame though.

Thanks,
Nick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Wrote in message:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.
The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill. That
seems rather a shame though.

Thanks,
Nick.

Will the SDS+ machine have enough power to do the job with the SDS
max bit in it? What bit/tool is it?
--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 15:04, Nick wrote:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

Can't say I have ever seen one that converts that way around.

The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill.

SDS bits don't tend to cut that well without the high energy SDS style
hammer action.

Is it a particularly exotic bit?

That
seems rather a shame though.

Or a justification for a SDS max drill ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick writes:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

I hired one with a 40mm SDS max bit from HSS about 16 years ago,
to use in my SDS+ drill.

Only problem is (and they warned me of this), you won't be able
to separate the adaptor from the bit after you've used it, so you
can't use it with more than one bit. They had a machine to separate
them when you bring them back.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 15:24, Jim K wrote:
Nick Wrote in message:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.
The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill. That
seems rather a shame though.

Thanks,
Nick.

Will the SDS+ machine have enough power to do the job with the SDS
max bit in it? What bit/tool is it?

Should do.
Makita drill about 650w (from memory) and 22mm SDS max bit. I want to
open out 9 x 16mm existing holes to 22mm. Brick/block cavity wall.
I bought the SDS max bit in error but it was cheap enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 17:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/04/2018 15:04, Nick wrote:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

Can't say I have ever seen one that converts that way around.

The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill.

SDS bits don't tend to cut that well without the high energy SDS style
hammer action.

Is it a particularly exotic bit?

That
seems rather a shame though.

Or a justification for a SDS max drill ;-)

Thanks,
nothing exotic. Bog std 22mm bit that I want to use to open out some
existing 16mm holes. I bought SDS max in error but it was cheap enough.
I don't think I want or need an SDS max drill. Have got by for 60yrs
without one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 21:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Nick writes:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

I hired one with a 40mm SDS max bit from HSS about 16 years ago,
to use in my SDS+ drill.

Only problem is (and they warned me of this), you won't be able
to separate the adaptor from the bit after you've used it, so you
can't use it with more than one bit. They had a machine to separate
them when you bring them back.

That's interesting.
I had never heard of SDS max until I recently, and inadvertantly, bought
a 22mm specimen.
I had imagined they were a fairly modern innovation.
The HSS bit of kit does appear a bit daft though. Perhaps things have
progressed in the last 16 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/04/2018 00:12, Nick wrote:
On 10/04/2018 15:24, Jim K wrote:
Nick Wrote in message:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.
The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill. That
seems rather a shame though.

Thanks,
Nick.

Will the SDS+ machine have enough power to do the job with the SDS
Â* max bit in it? What bit/tool is it?

Should do.
Makita drill about 650w (from memory) and 22mm SDS max bit. I want to
open out 9 x 16mm existing holes to 22mm. Brick/block cavity wall.
I bought the SDS max bit in error but it was cheap enough.

SDS drills are not as sharp as standard masonry drills, so may not work
well in a standard hammer drill. OTOH, you're only opening out an
existing hole.

For £6.50, it might be simpler just to buy
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p88163

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2018 15:04, Nick wrote:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

Can't say I have ever seen one that converts that way around.

The other way round is widely available.
Otherwise I'll machine the shank down and use it in a hammer drill.

SDS bits don't tend to cut that well without the high energy SDS style
hammer action.

Is it a particularly exotic bit?

That
seems rather a shame though.

Or a justification for a SDS max drill ;-)

Thanks,
nothing exotic. Bog std 22mm bit that I want to use to open out some
existing 16mm holes. I bought SDS max in error but it was cheap enough.
I don't think I want or need an SDS max drill. Have got by for 60yrs
without one.

They are a bit of a niche tool - but massively useful if you are doing
enough of the right kind of drilling, or good as a medium weight
concrete breaker.

I have one that I picked up for a ridiculous price some years ago when I
wanted a medium weight concrete breaker - it was a Wickes branded
(either a rebadged Kress or Sparky - not sure which) - I think someone
posted here they were discontinuing them and posted a link. They had
been reducing the price ever more to shift the last few. Found they had
one at our local store, and had to get them to go look for it.
Eventually they found it, took a look in the box and noticed that the
tube of grease has oozed a bit over the tool - so they knocked another
fiver off it! Got it for £25 IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick writes:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

I hired one with a 40mm SDS max bit from HSS about 16 years ago,
to use in my SDS+ drill.

Only problem is (and they warned me of this), you won't be able
to separate the adaptor from the bit after you've used it, so you
can't use it with more than one bit. They had a machine to separate
them when you bring them back.

That's interesting.
I had never heard of SDS max until I recently, and inadvertantly, bought
a 22mm specimen.
I had imagined they were a fairly modern innovation.
The HSS bit of kit does appear a bit daft though. Perhaps things have
progressed in the last 16 years.

I think it's deliberate that they jam together rigid. If they didn't,
the bit would be harder to handle, and the SDS probably not as effective.

--
Andrew Gabriel