Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS+ - SDS Max adaptor?

In article ,
Nick writes:
On 10/04/2018 21:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Nick writes:
Does anyone know if such a thing is available?
I'm after an adaptor to fit an SDS+ drill chuck that will accept an SDS
Max bit.

I hired one with a 40mm SDS max bit from HSS about 16 years ago,
to use in my SDS+ drill.

Only problem is (and they warned me of this), you won't be able
to separate the adaptor from the bit after you've used it, so you
can't use it with more than one bit. They had a machine to separate
them when you bring them back.

That's interesting.
I had never heard of SDS max until I recently, and inadvertantly, bought
a 22mm specimen.
I had imagined they were a fairly modern innovation.
The HSS bit of kit does appear a bit daft though. Perhaps things have
progressed in the last 16 years.

I think it's deliberate that they jam together rigid. If they didn't,
the bit would be harder to handle, and the SDS probably not as effective.

--
Andrew Gabriel