Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS+ & SDS max

What is the difference between these two types of drill? I have always bought SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the impression that there was a difference in the tool holders and the drills were not interchangeable.. However having mistakenly picked up an SDS max drill bit and thinking I may have to return it, I compared it to all my other bits and then noticed there was no difference. Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 01:13, Tricky Dicky wrote:

What is the difference between these two types of drill? I have
always bought SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the
impression that there was a difference in the tool holders and the
drills were not interchangeable. However having mistakenly picked up
an SDS max drill bit and thinking I may have to return it, I compared
it to all my other bits and then noticed there was no difference.
Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

Seems a bit odd... Could it have been miss labelled?

SDS and SDS+ may have some interchangeability, but SDS Max will not fit
a SDS/SDS+ machine. The SDS Max shank is something like 18mm compared
with the 10mm shank of the SDS+

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2018 01:13, Tricky Dicky wrote:

What is the difference between these two types of drill? I have
always bought SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the
impression that there was a difference in the tool holders and the
drills were not interchangeable. However having mistakenly picked up
an SDS max drill bit and thinking I may have to return it, I compared
it to all my other bits and then noticed there was no difference.
Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

Seems a bit odd... Could it have been miss labelled?

SDS and SDS+ may have some interchangeability, but SDS Max will not fit
a SDS/SDS+ machine. The SDS Max shank is something like 18mm compared
with the 10mm shank of the SDS+

I have an old Bosch CSB 520-2E 520Watt hammer drill, but I thought it
was about time I had an SDS, so I bought a cheap Lidl Parkside 620Watt
SDS+.

Apart from using chisel bits to make chases, will this lightweight SDS
out-perform the Bocsh when drilling masonry? I haven't had the
opportunity to compare them yet.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 02:38:50 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
[...]

look up the impact energies & rates

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 01:13:36 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
What is the difference between these two types of drill? I have always bought SDS+ for my ELU machine and was always under the impression that there was a difference in the tool holders and the drills were not interchangeable. However having mistakenly picked up an SDS max drill bit and thinking I may have to return it, I compared it to all my other bits and then noticed there was no difference. Went on to use it and it performed as normal.

Richard

+ & max are different size fittings, one does not fit the other. So something in that story isn't right.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 May 2018 02:38:48 +0100, Graham. wrote:

[...]

By 'eck yes!
I've a Bosch drill from '97 and it works well on bricks and similar. On the
concrete lintels it's marginal and just fails if it hits a good pebble. The
Parkside SDS does need some force but will do the job.
BTW, I used the Bosch after several years with an 18V combi - oh, the noise,
weight and vibration! We're spoiled nowadays.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is the drill I bought which clearly says In the catalogue listing SDS+, but on the packaging which of course I did not read until I got home it said SDS max.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-s...-x-260mm/8558v

Since it is an SDS+ drill as listed it must have been incorrectly marked on the packaging . Thank you for pointing out the difference between the the two types of shank.

Richard

SDS+ - SDS Max adaptor? Nick UK diy 9 April 11th 18 12:19 PM
Does Max mean max signal or max attenuation? micky Electronics Repair 7 October 7th 15 05:07 AM
3ds max 4 crack | 3ds max 4 cracks | 3ds max 4 error 6033 kingkong Woodworking 0 December 21st 10 08:35 PM
max international, mlm business opportunity, MaxGXL, networkmarketing opportunity , Max GXL, MaxWLX, Max N-fuze, Max WLX, international Home Ownership 0 September 17th 09 10:24 PM
SDS - DeWalt or Makita & Difference between SDS & SDS Plus Seri UK diy 25 March 6th 04 10:43 AM