Des

Default Tiling round windows?

Hello

I'm about to start tiling an ensuite shower-room floor to ceiling. There is
a rebated window that I'll have to deal with. The tiles are quite expensive
but have unglazed edges - I gather this is fairly standard these days.

As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external corners around
the window is to use plastic tile beading. I guess I'm going to have to very
carefully mitre the corners to achieve a professional finish.

Does anyone have any tips or alternative suggestions?

Des

Jim

Could you not lay the tiles so that the lower side edges just touch each
other and then put a bead of grout along the join and level off to 45
degrees so that it is flush with the top edges?

Crappy attempt at ascii art follows

T = Tile, 1 horizontal and 1 vertical shown
G = Grout bead

G TTTTTTTTTT
G T
G TTTTTTTTT
TTTT
T T
T T
T T

"Des" wrote in message
Hello

I'm about to start tiling an ensuite shower-room floor to ceiling. There

is
a rebated window that I'll have to deal with. The tiles are quite

expensive
but have unglazed edges - I gather this is fairly standard these days.

As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external corners around
the window is to use plastic tile beading. I guess I'm going to have to

very
carefully mitre the corners to achieve a professional finish.

Does anyone have any tips or alternative suggestions?

Des

chris French

In message , Jim
writes
Could you not lay the tiles so that the lower side edges just touch each
other and then put a bead of grout along the join and level off to 45
degrees so that it is flush with the top edges?

Hmm, not sure I think that would look that good.

Pro tilers (from what I've seen in my parents and In-laws bathrooms,
usually go for the corner 'beading' route. And I think it looks fine.

When I did it I went the mitring route. I was using one of the electric
tile saws and this makes cutting mitred edges relatively easy. As all
things take your time and you can get a good job. But of course it adds
greatly to the time, and would add inordinately to the cost if paying
for the job.

I went further and 'framed' my window opening. I was using 3 different
coloured tiles and used one to cut rectangular tile pieces used to make
a frame around the window opening. It looks really good.

Of course all this fiddling took ages, compared to the rest of the
tiling, but I'm still impressed with he job when I have a shower :-)
--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Des wrote:
As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external corners
around the window is to use plastic tile beading. I guess I'm going to
have to very carefully mitre the corners to achieve a professional
finish.

You can get 'chrome' beading (at a price) which would match the shower
fittings?

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Al Reynolds

"Des" wrote in message
Hello

I'm about to start tiling an ensuite shower-room floor to ceiling. There

is
a rebated window that I'll have to deal with. The tiles are quite

expensive
but have unglazed edges - I gather this is fairly standard these days.

As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external corners around
the window is to use plastic tile beading. I guess I'm going to have to

very
carefully mitre the corners to achieve a professional finish.

Does anyone have any tips or alternative suggestions?

I've used plastic beading, and the mitreing is a pain
where you're trying to join three pieces at the top
corner. Think carefully about the angles.

I've done the grout across the corner as well, and
it's difficult to get the width to be the same as the
other grout gaps. Couldn't use the beading as tiles
were mosaic tiles and v.thin.

How about some of those quadrant tiles they use
for 'round a bath? If they had the right colour
you might be able to use them vertically.
Corners'd be a pain though!

HTH,
Al

Rick

"chris French" wrote in message
When I did it I went the mitring route. I was using one of the electric

tile saws and this makes cutting mitred edges relatively easy. As all
things take your time and you can get a good job. But of course it adds
greatly to the time, and would add inordinately to the cost if paying
for the job.

But if you're doing the job yourself the "class" shows through

Richard

Simon Avery

"Des" wrote:

Hello Des

D| I'm about to start tiling an ensuite shower-room floor to
D| ceiling. There is a rebated window that I'll have to deal
D| with. The tiles are quite expensive but have unglazed edges
D| - I gather this is fairly standard these days.

Yep, has been for a while. Some brands of tiles come with a few that
have one or two glazed ends but even then it looks a bit icky.

D| As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external
D| corners around the window is to use plastic tile beading. I
D| guess I'm going to have to very carefully mitre the corners
D| to achieve a professional finish.

The plastic stuff looks "ick", imo, and concerns me that it'll look
even more "ick" after a few years. I've just used gilt metal which was
much more expensive, but certainly doesn't look "ick".

The mitreing isn't as bad as you may think. If you leave a mm or two
gap on the corners (with mitres) and grout it, it looks good but
doesn't require exact mitring.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/