Simon Avery

Default Tiling round windows?

"Des" wrote:

Hello Des

D| I'm about to start tiling an ensuite shower-room floor to
D| ceiling. There is a rebated window that I'll have to deal
D| with. The tiles are quite expensive but have unglazed edges
D| - I gather this is fairly standard these days.

Yep, has been for a while. Some brands of tiles come with a few that
have one or two glazed ends but even then it looks a bit icky.

D| As far as I can see the only way to deal with the external
D| corners around the window is to use plastic tile beading. I
D| guess I'm going to have to very carefully mitre the corners
D| to achieve a professional finish.

The plastic stuff looks "ick", imo, and concerns me that it'll look
even more "ick" after a few years. I've just used gilt metal which was
much more expensive, but certainly doesn't look "ick".

The mitreing isn't as bad as you may think. If you leave a mm or two
gap on the corners (with mitres) and grout it, it looks good but
doesn't require exact mitring.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/