PoP

Default Cheap wall tiles

Wondering aloud..... (great Jethro Tull song)

Cheapo boxes of wall tiles - can anyone advise whether these are
really square and consistent?

Just finished tiling a bathroom and the grout lines aren't perfect.
Too my time lining up the tiles etc, and the only thing I can think of
is that these cheapo boxes of tiles aren't accurately sized.

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
PJO

I have just completed a kitchen job for a mate and he bought cheap (35p
each) tiles. They were OK but the lack of quality certainly shows when
compared to more expensive tiles. I found a lack of glaze on the corners was
a big problem in that the raw tile showed through on the edges of the grout
requiring double grouting and a load of messing about. They were quite
square and consistent though although there was a very slight difference in
size (.2mm) between different coloured tiles.

"PoP" wrote in message
Wondering aloud..... (great Jethro Tull song)

Cheapo boxes of wall tiles - can anyone advise whether these are
really square and consistent?

Just finished tiling a bathroom and the grout lines aren't perfect.
Too my time lining up the tiles etc, and the only thing I can think of
is that these cheapo boxes of tiles aren't accurately sized.

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:32:38 +0000, PoP wrote:
Wondering aloud..... (great Jethro Tull song)

Cheapo boxes of wall tiles - can anyone advise whether these are
really square and consistent?

Just finished tiling a bathroom and the grout lines aren't perfect.
Too my time lining up the tiles etc, and the only thing I can think of
is that these cheapo boxes of tiles aren't accurately sized.

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

PoP

Mine were not square, or consistantly not square. I will NEVER buy cheep tiles again ......
they anoy me every time I look at them.

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

Rick Dipper wrote:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:32:38 +0000, PoP wrote:

Wondering aloud..... (great Jethro Tull song)

Cheapo boxes of wall tiles - can anyone advise whether these are
really square and consistent?

Just finished tiling a bathroom and the grout lines aren't perfect.
Too my time lining up the tiles etc, and the only thing I can think of
is that these cheapo boxes of tiles aren't accurately sized.

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

PoP

Mine were not square, or consistantly not square. I will NEVER buy cheep tiles again ......
they anoy me every time I look at them.

You can get good quaility trade whites at about 6.50 a square meter from
builders merchants.

Anythng halfway decent is 10 a squere or more.

Rick

PoP

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:37:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You can get good quaility trade whites at about 6.50 a square meter from
builders merchants.

I know these tiles were bought in Focus DIY. They appear to sell
shedloads of them, I can almost see David Jason selling these out of
the back of a Reliant!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Zymurgy

PoP wrote
Wondering aloud..... (great Jethro Tull song)

Cheapo boxes of wall tiles - can anyone advise whether these are
really square and consistent?

heh. I've bought tiny terracotta tiles for the floor in the kitchen.
210 of them laid later (70-odd to go), there's a few the wrong size
and a bit bowed. After the 180'th I decided I was taking far too much
time farting around getting them perfect, when only I would notice the
odd imperfect grout line. The rest have flown down ;-)

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

I said that after the bathroom. Fortunately I'd bought the biggest
tiles the wall would allow and I did the lot with 90.

Cheers,

Paul.
Zymurgy

PoP wrote
(Zymurgy) wrote:

I never want to do a tiling job again.....

I said that after the bathroom. Fortunately I'd bought the biggest
tiles the wall would allow and I did the lot with 90.

I did come across some large format wall tiles, and that got me wondering
whether this would make tiling in a bathroom easier?

I'm sure it must do as there are less operations involved.

Much easier as the coverage is greater, and fewer line-ups to be done.

/But/ make sure the walls are sraight and as true as possible. They
are a nightmare if the wall is uneven. I have some interesting 'build
ups' of adhesive behind mine in places.

I also noticed in Homebase that they had packs of 4mm tile spacers.
I've been using 2mm, and wondered whether 4mm spacers would improve
tiling operations?

I think the grout lines would be too wide on a wall with 4mm spacers.
You'd also use a hell of a lot of grout, and that white microban stuff
is pricey.

4mm on floors is fine, and the Grey grout is cheap as chips.

Cheers,

Paul.
Owain

"Huge" wrote
| are 33cm on a side. A box of 10
| What a weird size.
| 9 make a square metre, innit.

So why not sell them in boxes of nine?

Owain

Chris J Dixon

Zymurgy wrote:

Much easier as the coverage is greater, and fewer line-ups to be done.

Doesn't the trimming get more tricky, especially curves?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Tony Bryer

In article , Owain wrote:
So why not sell them in boxes of nine?

Wickes have some 150x150's in boxes of 44 = 1m2

John Laird

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:12:18 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Huge" wrote
| are 33cm on a side. A box of 10
| What a weird size.
| 9 make a square metre, innit.

So why not sell them in boxes of nine?

Maybe the 10th is a spare to cover breakages.

--
What is the sound of one modem connecting?

Mail john rather than nospam...

Zymurgy

Chris J Dixon wrote
Zymurgy wrote:

Much easier as the coverage is greater, and fewer line-ups to be done.

Doesn't the trimming get more tricky, especially curves?

I don't live in a lighthouse ;-)

But actually, not as far as I can tell, but my tiling knowledge isn't
extensive.

I just made sure I did 4 tiles up from the floor, (I was only going up
2/3 of the way) and used full tiles on the far wall that was visible
when the door opens. I pieced the wall next to the door that is
initially out of view.

There weren't any cutouts as I've used a pull switch on the ceiling.

All vertical trims were made with a cheapo electric tile cutter. Far
less wastage with tiling newbies like me.

Cheers,

Paul.
PoP

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:20:45 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Wickes have some 150x150's in boxes of 44 = 1m2

Those are the ones I've spent the last week fitting, only they were
bought in Focus DIY.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Tiling - Wall Tiles or Floor Tiles first Charles Gregory UK diy 1 January 17th 04 09:31 AM
Wall tiles from B&Q Troy UK diy 5 January 13th 04 09:02 AM
A few additional ceramic wall tiles needed Clive Long,UK UK diy 4 January 3rd 04 01:43 AM
Painting over Kitchen Wall Tiles Mary UK diy 0 November 14th 03 11:57 AM
wall tiles with 4mm depth: Can you get pvc edging that will fit these? William.R.Reisen UK diy 1 September 28th 03 05:38 PM