Tom

Default Replacing WC, help

In an existing small bathroom which I need to refurbish, I have a problem
replacing the existing cracked loo.
The loo is a low level uncoupled? (not close coupled) suite and has a
vertical discharge, I think they used to be described as an "S" trap
syphonic pan.
The floor of the bathroom is suspended, and the centre of the drain socket
is located some 24 cm from the wall on which the cistern is fixed.
I require a close coupled, dual flush loo which will fit in the existing set
up, I've been looking around at new loos in the sheds etc and they don't
seem to have S trap loos any more, only P traps and there isn't the room to
fit a 90deg coupling between the existing floor drain socket and the loo
discharge stub because it would position the rear of the cistern some 15
inches out from the wall.
After much thought and planning, I cannot reposition the suite or re-design
the bathroom as the dimensions prohibit this possibility.
It's the only loo/bathroom in the house so I cannot contemplate taking up
the floor with a view to repositioning the floor drain socket until I've
exhausted other possibilities (SWMBO).
I think I remember seeing somewhere, sometime, a Loo which had an apron all
round the base of the pan which was designed to be sealed on to ceramic
tiles (silicon) and within the apron was a vertical discharge stub which was
if I remember correctly would approximate to my existing dimensions.
I've tried describing it to my local Plumbcentre with little success and
have surfed various companies, but dimensions of their products are not
easily found.
Becoming desperate, can anyone help please??
Regards
Tom

Adrian Berry

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Try a "swan neck" pan connector - these are right-angle pan connectors
squashed up like a question mark so that the socket that receives the WC
spigot is in the same plane as the vertical section of soil pipe.

This is not so easy to describe - look on the BES website (www.bes.ltd.uk)
and search for "12712" (use the PRODUCT search - if you use the PART NUMBER
search you will find the item without an illustration!)

A good plumers merchant will stock them, usually made by Kwickfit.

HTH
Adrian

MIstatee

"Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

Tom.......

I have exactly the same problem, am eager to see replies.
Have been told by a builder today that you can get ( and thinking
about it, I have seen them either b&q or wickes)a connecter, instead
of a plastic 90% it is ,and I can't remember the name he called it...
like a question mark shape. Sort of comes out the loo, comes under it
self and then drops down. I wonder if that's what we need???

Steve
Mike James

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]
.................................................. ..

Just done the very same thing Tom. Do as Adrian says with what is called a
"Swan Neck" that looks like a question mark from side view, got mine from
B&Q (about the £6 quid mark)
Good luck.
Mike.

Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
In an existing small bathroom which I need to refurbish, snipped

Thanks for the responses, will try the swan neck/ flex coupling route, I
didn't know such things existed.
Much obliged
Tom

BillV

"Tom" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
In an existing small bathroom which I need to refurbish, snipped

Thanks for the responses, will try the swan neck/ flex coupling route, I
didn't know such things existed.
Much obliged
Tom

The swan neck can be a godsend but I've recently fitted 2 fancy modern
toilets ( the kind with a skirt all the way round the bottom) and they
couldn't take one because there was some ceramic in the way of the vertical
bit of the swan.
The standard 90 degree was ok ... but as you say this makes the pan too far
away from the wall...
So try before you buy.

Justin Time

"BillV" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
In an existing small bathroom which I need to refurbish, snipped

Thanks for the responses, will try the swan neck/ flex coupling route, I
didn't know such things existed.
Much obliged
Tom

The swan neck can be a godsend but I've recently fitted 2 fancy modern
toilets ( the kind with a skirt all the way round the bottom) and they
couldn't take one because there was some ceramic in the way of the

vertical
bit of the swan.
The standard 90 degree was ok ... but as you say this makes the pan too

far
away from the wall...
So try before you buy.

With me having the same problem as Tom (op) toilet outlet 24 cm away from
the wall and reading the replies regarding a swan neck fitting
Well........ I went round b&q with a swan neck fitting and tape measure.....
well yes it does make it closer to the wall (cistern) but not close enough
I,m afraid.
Steve

---

Adrian Berry

"Justin Time" wrote in message

"BillV" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

You can try tilting the swan neck a little, I've found they will still make
a good seal even 20 degrees from the vertical - but of course this will
depend on your pan and soil pipe.

Adrian

Justin Time

"Mark" wrote in message
Justin Time typed:

snip

With me having the same problem as Tom (op) toilet outlet 24 cm away
from the wall and reading the replies regarding a swan neck fitting
Well........ I went round b&q with a swan neck fitting and tape
measure..... well yes it does make it closer to the wall (cistern)
but not close enough I,m afraid.
Steve

I cannot believe that you cant make one of these fit.
http://www.gofixit.co.uk/en-gb/dept_1929.html
Swan Neck Pan Conncector 1123/SN

--
mark

Nope.......... With the centre of the hole in the concrete being 24cm away
from the wall works out using a swanneck that the outlet on the loo needs to
be 25cm up to approx 28cm away from the wall. I have checked with numerous
new loos in the stores and they are all way off.

Steve

---

Mark

Justin Time typed

snip

With me having the same problem as Tom (op) toilet outlet 24 cm away
from the wall and reading the replies regarding a swan neck fitting
Well........ I went round b&q with a swan neck fitting and tape
measure..... well yes it does make it closer to the wall (cistern)
but not close enough I,m afraid.
Steve

I cannot believe that you cant make one of these fit.
http://www.gofixit.co.uk/en-gb/dept_1929.html
Swan Neck Pan Conncector 1123/SN

--
mark

Nope.......... With the centre of the hole in the concrete being 24cm
away from the wall works out using a swanneck that the outlet on the
loo needs to be 25cm up to approx 28cm away from the wall. I have
checked with numerous new loos in the stores and they are all way off.

Steve

Then fit one of these first
Offset Kwikfit 1124/OS
OR
build a nice hidden cistern loo, you can get ones with remote pneumatic
flush buttons.
But not from the likes of B&Q .

--
mark

Ian Stirling

Justin Time wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
Justin Time typed:

snip

With me having the same problem as Tom (op) toilet outlet 24 cm away
from the wall and reading the replies regarding a swan neck fitting
Well........ I went round b&q with a swan neck fitting and tape
measure..... well yes it does make it closer to the wall (cistern)
but not close enough I,m afraid.
Steve

I cannot believe that you cant make one of these fit.
http://www.gofixit.co.uk/en-gb/dept_1929.html
Swan Neck Pan Conncector 1123/SN

--
mark

Nope.......... With the centre of the hole in the concrete being 24cm away
from the wall works out using a swanneck that the outlet on the loo needs to
be 25cm up to approx 28cm away from the wall. I have checked with numerous
new loos in the stores and they are all way off.

1cm?
I'd be very tempted to pick up my trusty SDS drill.

Replacing taps. Mary Pegg UK diy 7 July 3rd 04 01:42 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
replacing a banister? Harris UK diy 3 August 22nd 03 08:46 AM