Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door 'closer' to prevent door banging

What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

They are called door dampers. e.g.:

https://www.slamproof.co.uk/Door-Dam...r-Door-Dampers

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly.Â* Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1

feckin expensive though.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Not tried feeding google with "door damper"?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Strips of foam stuck round the edge?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly.Â* Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1

feckin expensive though.....

Yes (OP here), £50 plus seems a lot. Maybe AliExpress have
something.....

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

if you haven't bought it yet get something like a briton...I have just
adjusted my speed and latching so there is no banging...mine has two
adjustments like this....and hold it open with a cabin hook ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DRcjEMPsh4
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Not tried feeding google with "door damper"?

Yes, and all I found was those very expensive ones, I was hoping there
might be something rather simpler and cheaper with another name.
We're not after something for 'public' doorways and such, just
something to stop our back door banging so hard.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave W wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Strips of foam stuck round the edge?

Yes, it looks like it might come to that!

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 09:58, Chris Green wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly.Â* Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1

feckin expensive though.....

Yes (OP here), £50 plus seems a lot. Maybe AliExpress have
something.....

they only work with a door closer you understand...I got the impression
you didn't want a door closer ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 June 2020 08:58:59 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Some of the door closers have an optional "hold open" arm eg

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-fig-66-424384

so the door can be held fully open, but if moved to a partly open position it will fully close.

There is also a "backcheck" function which dampens the door at the open position in case it hits a wall etc.

If it's not a very heavy or 'swingy' door you could try multiple soft-close pistons of the sort used on kitchen cupboards and drawers.

Slam noise is often worsened by the latch bolt hitting the keep plate as the door closed - you can get magnetic latches where the bolt is retracted until the door is fully closed, some have plastic or plastic-covered bolts for almost silent operation.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang
and a rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the
bang and rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for
something that will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door,
in fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way,
what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1

feckin expensive though.....

Yes (OP here), £50 plus seems a lot. Maybe AliExpress have
something.....

They are quite sophisticated devices. One with a decent life won't be
cheap. Same as anything, really.

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 10:02, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:44, Dave W wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly.Â* Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Strips of foam stuck round the edge?

it will still bang

But more quietly because it stops wood to wood impact.

He could always use a door closer in reverse. Door kept open
but has to be physically closed to shut it. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly. Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

I would start by spending £3 and half an hour sticking self-adhesive
draught excluding strips into the rebate. See if it does the trick.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 12:08, Andrew wrote:
[...]

I did that recently and it made sod all difference .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 18/06/2020 09:37, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 17/06/2020 19:33, Chris Green wrote:
What sort of door 'closer' do I need to prevent a back door banging
closed?

It's just a plain[ish] solid wooden door that closes with a bang and a
rattle if you close it at all carelessly.Â* Unfortunately the bang and
rattle disturb the bedroom above, so we're looking for something that
will slow down the final closing.

Thus we're not looking for something that always closes the door, in
fact if it's left open we probably want it to stay that way, what we
need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...AOSwZoZahro 1

feckin expensive though.....

Yes (OP here), £50 plus seems a lot. Maybe AliExpress have
something.....

I doubt that cheap and effective are compatible aims. However, I would
try fitting a large adjustable roller catch into the hinge edge of the
door. That should act a a sprung cushion to the last part of the door
closing.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/06/2020 10:00, Chris Green wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Not tried feeding google with "door damper"?

Yes, and all I found was those very expensive ones, I was hoping there
might be something rather simpler and cheaper with another name.
We're not after something for 'public' doorways and such, just
something to stop our back door banging so hard.

This looks like the type I remember from my childhood home:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gatemate-56.../dp/B01MYBL59D

djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Briton-Me...E/303595350580

I used this type on a shop door and its been on for a couiple of years now

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2020 21:54, sintv wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Briton-Me...E/303595350580

I used this type on a shop door and its been on for a couiple of years now

that is the one I have it had two adjustment screws one is for latching...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:02 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

what we need is a 'damper' for the last few degrees of closure.

Is there a specific name for this sort of thing?

Not tried feeding google with "door damper"?

Yes, and all I found was those very expensive ones, I was hoping there
might be something rather simpler and cheaper with another name.
We're not after something for 'public' doorways and such, just
something to stop our back door banging so hard.

This looks like the type I remember from my childhood home:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gatemate-56.../dp/B01MYBL59D

For 15 years I have had a cheap foam type knee pad in the door jamb. I
like my windows open and the wind to blow through some. I close the,
free swinging, door against the pad and no problems with door moving at
all. And, it's not so threatening to my little toe.