Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help with Dobbies please

I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do! Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:

Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Some are, and some clearly are not. With garden centres closed, online
garden companies found their business going up many times over. All at a
time when staff were least able to cope.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do! Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

I decided this year not to order any live plants through the post. Early
in the lock-down I was seeing Royal Mail taking a week for their 48hr
service I could not see live plants surviving this amount of time in hot
weather. Even now some delivery services seem to be taking a day or two
longer than normal. Even in normal times I've found transport of live
plants through the postal system a bit iffy in very hot weather with
some plants arriving in not the best condition.

In this case there are a few options (assuming you a writing about Jun
2020)

i) They never got around to sending them out yet. Some companies only
send out live plants Mon to Wed so they don't get left in transit over a
weekend. The company may have missed a Mon-Wed (or possibly a Mon-Tues)
slot and is waiting until this week.

ii) Depending on the courier, the plants are still in a warehouse
currently dying.

iii) they have got lost.

A lot of companies are not coping!
My mother has an ongoing insurance claim (from before the lockdown) and
recently on ringing up was told staff were working from home with
limited access to the data base.
I'm currently awaiting an order and yesterday was informed that it may
take another 20 (WORKING) days to be finalised. This is despite when
ordering 3 weeks ago they gave the Covid19 delay time as 10 days rather
than the normal 3 day turn around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:54, GB wrote:
On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:

Other companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Some are, and some clearly are not. With garden centres closed, online
garden companies found their business going up many times over. All at a
time when staff were least able to cope.

Although trading as UK companies much of the stock may have to come (and
posted) from the Channel Islands or from the EU with any associated
delays during the pandemic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:12:37 +0100, Broadback wrote:
I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do! Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Contact your card company instead. They're only obliged to refund you if
it's over £100 and you used a credit card, but they still can (and
usually will) use chargeback even if it's less than this and/or a debit
card.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do! Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Write a letter to Katie Morley at the Daily Telegraph.
Include a suitable photo of a sad face and try and include as
many keywords as possible - lockdown, vulnerable, pensioner,
autism, gluten-sensitive, nasty-bank, ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do! Other
companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Almost all of the seed and plant mail order places have been in crisis
ever since lockdown with insatiable demand and difficulty fulfilling
orders fast enough in a short staffed socially distanced workplace.
ISTR Courgette and tomato seeds were the first to run out.

You should be able to buy red geraniums now (I presume you actually mean
pelargoniums) from just about any garden centre.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2020 16:35, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/06/2020 11:12, Broadback wrote:
I ordered red geranium plants from Dobbies, way back, I had an email
from them on the 8th to say they would be delivered on the following
Friday. They never arrived, I can get no meaningful response from
Dobbies, only to say they are busy and can't cope. What can I do!
Other companies are managing fine during this pandemic, why are they not?

Almost all of the seed and plant mail order places have been in crisis
ever since lockdown with insatiable demand and difficulty fulfilling
orders fast enough in a short staffed socially distanced workplace.
ISTR Courgette and tomato seeds were the first to run out.

You should be able to buy red geraniums now (I presume you actually mean
pelargoniums) from just about any garden centre.

If you already have some that have survived our mild winter cuttings
will root in a couple to three weeks. I had half of the trailing
geraniums in my tower die over the winter. I took cuttings the middle of
last month and the beginning of this week planted up the flower tower
again with fairly well developed plants.