Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Standing current of VW Golf R

Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2020 09:22, Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

That sounds like a wiring problem. A mate of mine had a similar problem
in the 70's with a 60's car, that turned out to be a failed on/off
switch on the radio (this had no lights to indicate it was on, and
didn't make a sound tuned between stations). IIRC it was drawing an amp
or so.

Slightly different, but the reason my ATV battery was going flat even
when used regularly was that the glow plug timer relay had failed, so
these were drawing 20 amps or so, well over the charging current on idle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

snip

This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

How long did you leave it measuring for? When you connect the ammeter
you are effectively re making the circuit and it will then go though
any diagnostics etc until it goes into sleep mode.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

The current will start high, but will settle down after a few minutes
as things go to sleep. You need to wait for a while before measuring
the quiescent current draw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:53:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

snip

This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the standing
current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the meter
was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

How long did you leave it measuring for? When you connect the ammeter
you are effectively re making the circuit and it will then go though any
diagnostics etc until it goes into sleep mode.

Cheers, T i m

The meter was connected across the knife switch before the circuit was
opened, so it shouldn't have seen any break in supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my
car after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the
battery in the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of
headlight bulbs in series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over
several days. I eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a
knife switch isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned
after about 10 miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I
measured the standing current across the open knife switch and was
surprised to see the meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery
flat!

You need to make sure everything is allowed to go to sleep mode before
measuring the quiescent current.

3.6 amps would run the battery flat in less than one day.

A normal figure would be more like 0.03 amps (30mA)

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Smolley wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:53:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

snip

This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the standing
current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the meter
was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

How long did you leave it measuring for? When you connect the ammeter
you are effectively re making the circuit and it will then go though any
diagnostics etc until it goes into sleep mode.

Cheers, T i m

The meter was connected across the knife switch before the circuit was
opened, so it shouldn't have seen any break in supply.

You need to leave it for say 20 minutes or so, and check again.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2020 09:22, Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!
fire imminent ...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2020 09:22, Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

The standing current once it has finished all its power on self tests
and become quiescent is likely to be in the range of about 30-100 mA. It
varies a bit with the car, model and how many LEDs it decides to flash.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:38:27 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:53:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

snip

This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the standing
current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the meter
was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

How long did you leave it measuring for? When you connect the ammeter
you are effectively re making the circuit and it will then go though any
diagnostics etc until it goes into sleep mode.

The meter was connected across the knife switch before the circuit was
opened, so it shouldn't have seen any break in supply.

Fairy muff (and good idea), so how long did you observe it for after
opening the switch?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That sounds like a wiring problem. A mate of mine had a similar problem
in the 70's with a 60's car, that turned out to be a failed on/off
switch on the radio (this had no lights to indicate it was on, and
didn't make a sound tuned between stations). IIRC it was drawing an amp
or so.

valves ?...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :
You need to make sure everything is allowed to go to sleep mode before
measuring the quiescent current.

I agree, some electronics wake up, even with just a slight change in
voltage across them.

3.6 amps would run the battery flat in less than one day.

A normal figure would be more like 0.03 amps (30mA)

My car, loaded with electronics, sleeps at 20mA, with an odd higher
short pulse, which I assume is for the alarm system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

That sounds like a wiring problem. A mate of mine had a similar
problem in the 70's with a 60's car, that turned out to be a failed
on/off switch on the radio (this had no lights to indicate it was on,
and didn't make a sound tuned between stations). IIRC it was drawing
an amp or so.

valves ?...

You'd have heard the vibrator...

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) presented the following explanation :
You need to make sure everything is allowed to go to sleep mode before
measuring the quiescent current.

I agree, some electronics wake up, even with just a slight change in
voltage across them.

3.6 amps would run the battery flat in less than one day.

A normal figure would be more like 0.03 amps (30mA)

My car, loaded with electronics, sleeps at 20mA, with an odd higher
short pulse, which I assume is for the alarm system.

That's good. I've got quite a bit of extra junk on the old Rover, much of
it home designed/installed. And couldn't get it down under 30mA. The
original central locking took about 10mA. Got that down to under 1mA.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2020 13:49:30 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:38:27 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:53:06 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 30 May 2020 08:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Smolley wrote:

snip

This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the standing
current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

How long did you leave it measuring for? When you connect the ammeter
you are effectively re making the circuit and it will then go though
any diagnostics etc until it goes into sleep mode.

The meter was connected across the knife switch before the circuit was
opened, so it shouldn't have seen any break in supply.

Fairy muff (and good idea), so how long did you observe it for after
opening the switch?

Cheers, T i m

About 100,000 counts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2020 14:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
that audis only

VAG cars share most components. The user interface maybe Volkswagen or
Audi or Skoda or SEAT specific but the underlying components and low
level software are the same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2020 14:21, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
What on earth is it doing?
Brian

Powering the hundreds of CPUs that modern cars use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

What on earth is it doing?

Deciding how to **** over the individual who has
dared to modify the beautifully designed kraut car.

"Smolley" wrote in message ...
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery
in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see
the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Smolley" wrote in message
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my
car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the
battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to
see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!

with hundreds of plastic parts that don't last long ...