Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Standing current of VW Golf R

On 30/05/2020 09:22, Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my car
after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the battery in
the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of headlight bulbs in
series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over several days. I
eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a knife switch
isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned after about 10
miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I measured the
standing current across the open knife switch and was surprised to see the
meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery flat!
fire imminent ...

https://www.avg.com