Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Standing current of VW Golf R

In article ,
Smolley wrote:
Further to a post a few weeks ago, about the battery being flat in my
car after standing idle for a few weeks. I subsequently charged the
battery in the house using a laptop power supply and a couple of
headlight bulbs in series to deliver a charging current of ~2 amps over
several days. I eventually put the battery back in the car and fitted a
knife switch isolator. Yesterday I went out in the car and returned
after about 10 miles. This morning after the engine fan had stopped I
measured the standing current across the open knife switch and was
surprised to see the meter was reading 3.26 amps. No wonder the battery
flat!

You need to make sure everything is allowed to go to sleep mode before
measuring the quiescent current.

3.6 amps would run the battery flat in less than one day.

A normal figure would be more like 0.03 amps (30mA)

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.