Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD to protect hedge trimmer

I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

--
Frank

Not an absolute no no after all most RCDs fitted to CUs are
passive they trip and stay tripped in the case of earthleakage
but if there is a "normal" power interruption they don't need
your intervention when the power is restored (think of your
fridge & freezer).
An active (non latching) RCD is a better choice for power tools
etc. because the tool won't start up unexpectedly when the power
is restored.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 12:19, Graham. wrote:
[...]

So if I'm using a hedge trimmer, which needs two hands holding down two
switches to run, there's no problem unless there's a power cut and I
remain holding both switches down with the trimmer resting on my leg as
the power is restored...

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 11:08, F wrote:

I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

It will offer the exactly same electrocution protection that you will
get from any other type of RCD. So in that sense its fine, and massively
better than nothing.

However it does not have a NVR style action - so if there is a power
interruption to the socket (e.g. power cut or the circuit being turned
off) power will automatically be re-applied to the tool after the power
interruption is over.

RCDs designed for tool use will not re-supply power after an
interruption, regardless of the cause.

(in reality, with most tools you need to "hold them on" on anyway, so
its a moot point).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2020 12:55, F wrote:
On 29/05/2020 12:19, Graham. wrote:
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

--
Frank

Not an absolute no no after all most RCDs fitted to CUs are
Â* passive they trip and stay tripped in the case of earth
leakage
Â* but if there is a "normal" power interruption they don't need
Â* your intervention when the power is restored (think of your
Â* fridge & freezer).
An active (non latching) RCD is a better choice for power tools
Â* etc. because the tool won't start up unexpectedly when the power
Â* is restored.

So if I'm using a hedge trimmer, which needs two hands holding down two
switches to run, there's no problem unless there's a power cut and I
remain holding both switches down with the trimmer resting on my leg as
the power is restored...

Pretty much, yes.

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/20 13:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/05/2020 11:08, F wrote:

[...]

Indeed. But it's a bit odd how an RCD became linked to this particular
use - you could apply it to a latching MCB if you wanted overload rather
than leakage as the basis for the device. In fact, all it really needs
if you are concerned is a latching relay which will need to be reset
after a power failure - nothing to do with overload or leakage at all,
just a specific device made for that purpose. But I guess that would be
an added cost.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/05/2020 12:55, F wrote:
[...]

Do you not have RCD protection on your CU?

--
Adam

Whats the best hedge trimmer? dean Home Repair 4 October 11th 05 02:35 PM
Which Hedge Trimmer Deep Thought UK diy 14 May 1st 05 12:29 AM
Hedge trimmer D & J G Home Repair 0 April 30th 05 06:04 PM
Troubleshooting help for Deere 172 Gas Hedge Trimmer? Joe S Home Repair 0 March 3rd 05 02:51 PM
broken switch on a bosch hedge-trimmer billy Woodworking 0 February 26th 05 10:37 PM