Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default RCD to protect hedge trimmer

On 29/05/2020 11:08, F wrote:

I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

It will offer the exactly same electrocution protection that you will
get from any other type of RCD. So in that sense its fine, and massively
better than nothing.

However it does not have a NVR style action - so if there is a power
interruption to the socket (e.g. power cut or the circuit being turned
off) power will automatically be re-applied to the tool after the power
interruption is over.

RCDs designed for tool use will not re-supply power after an
interruption, regardless of the cause.

(in reality, with most tools you need to "hold them on" on anyway, so
its a moot point).

--
Cheers,

John.