Posted to uk.d-i-y
F[_2_] F[_2_] is offline

Default RCD to protect hedge trimmer

On 29/05/2020 12:19, Graham. wrote:
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I bought a 2 gang RCD socket from Screwfix (code 3133J) to replace a 2
gang socket in the garage which I use to power the hedge trimmer. Once I
got it home the installation guide says that as it's latched it's 'not
suitable for outdoor power tools and garden equipment'.

Is it an absolute no-no? If it is, can anyone suggest an alternative?

--
Frank

Not an absolute no no after all most RCDs fitted to CUs are
passive they trip and stay tripped in the case of earth
leakage
but if there is a "normal" power interruption they don't need
your intervention when the power is restored (think of your
fridge & freezer).
An active (non latching) RCD is a better choice for power tools
etc. because the tool won't start up unexpectedly when the power
is restored.

So if I'm using a hedge trimmer, which needs two hands holding down two
switches to run, there's no problem unless there's a power cut and I
remain holding both switches down with the trimmer resting on my leg as
the power is restored...

--
Frank