Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lever basin taps.

The cold tap on our basin needs a new washer but these were only cheap
ones I fitted some 20+ years ago.

With her arthritic hands and especially with soapy tap heads they
aren't as easy to turn on (especially if a visitor has turned them off
'hard') so I fancied going to some lever action, ceramic taps?

We have had a ceramic valved mixer in the kitchen for over 20 years as
well ... and apart from the swivel nozzle getting a bit stiff now and
again (nothing that a clean and some silicone can't fix), hence why I
was thinking ceramic lever taps might be a good way to go.

So, are there makes models to avoid / go for, or would they all be
much of a muchness? (mains pressure h/c FFIW).

I saw a reasonably priced pair (~25 quid?) on eBay that were supposed
to be solid brass etc but suggested they were for basin *and* bath
use? Have all bath taps gone over to 15mm (nom) pipework now as I
thought you had larger bore / higher capacity taps on baths (for
conventional HW systems anyway)?

It's been a while since I fitted out the bathroom / kitchen so I may
have remembered it incorrectly?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Going round other people houses I have experienced taps that only
offer a dribble of water (often those open weir types) to those that
seem to have a hair trigger and soak you when only cracked open a
touch. ;-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2020 13:52, T i m wrote:
[...]

The Scewfix lever taps I bought for a bath a few years ago have been
fine. I was pleased to find that I could use my original shower
attachment as it is attached to the wall. I use the Screwfix shower
attachment on another mixer tap which was missing one.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 May 2020 14:18:17 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

snip

I saw a reasonably priced pair (~25 quid?) on eBay that were supposed
to be solid brass etc but suggested they were for basin *and* bath
use? Have all bath taps gone over to 15mm (nom) pipework now as I
thought you had larger bore / higher capacity taps on baths (for
conventional HW systems anyway)?

snip

The Scewfix lever taps I bought for a bath a few years ago have been
fine.

I've just found these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/h-c-turn-...r-chrome/52504

Or these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-ele...aps-pair/60446

I note you can get repair kits for some of them but I was hoping I
wouldn't need such a thing? ;-)

I was pleased to find that I could use my original shower
attachment as it is attached to the wall. I use the Screwfix shower
attachment on another mixer tap which was missing one.

Ah.

Cheers, T i m