Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending a single gang box

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box. If possible, I'd like
to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this to make
it into a twin (rather than double) gang box. So what are the options ?
I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress
(https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-pattress-box/p71672) which could do
the job, are there any other options ?. The sockets would be used for
data rather than power feeds.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 11:57, Adrian wrote:

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box.Â* If possible, I'd like
to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this to make
it into a twin (rather than double) gang box.

What is a a twin that isn't double?

So what are the options ?
I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress
(https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-pattress-box/p71672) which could do
the job, are there any other options ?.Â* The sockets would be used for
data rather than power feeds.

Plenty of single socket sized double RJ45 sockets around

Adrian

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 11:57:53 +0100, Adrian wrote:

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box. If possible, I'd like
to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this to make
it into a twin (rather than double) gang box. So what are the options ?
I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress
(https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-pattress-box/p71672) which could do
the job, are there any other options ?. The sockets would be used for
data rather than power feeds.

What about something like this:
https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/electri...CKmkQA vD_BwE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 11:57, Adrian wrote:

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box.Â* If possible, I'd
like to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this
to make it into a twin (rather than double) gang box.

What is a a twin that isn't double?

A pattress that takes two separate single outlets side by side
as opposed to a back box that takes a single double socket.

So what are the options ? I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress
(https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-pattress-box/p71672) which could do
the job, are there any other options ?.Â* The sockets would be used for
data rather than power feeds.

Plenty of single socket sized double RJ45 sockets around

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott
writes
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 11:57:53 +0100, Adrian wrote:

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box. If possible, I'd like
to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this to make
it into a twin (rather than double) gang box. So what are the options ?
I see that Toolstation have a twin pattress
(https://www.toolstation.com/axiom-pattress-box/p71672) which could do
the job, are there any other options ?. The sockets would be used for
data rather than power feeds.

What about something like this:
https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/electri...es-stubs/back-
boxes/3267-single-1-gang-wall-socket-to-double-wall-gang-socket-converte
r-003267-5055383432677.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqJ_1BRBZEiwAv73uw Fw4NwOgWx-jHk
dp74Q15LeYILyyWyLc98LjwS8rvq13nlUpL57idhoCKmkQAvD _BwE

Thanks.

That sort of thing would be ideal, but that converts to a double, not a
twin.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:22:10 +0100, Adrian wrote:

In message , Scott
writes
[...]

Could you not then source a double socket that would meet your
proposes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott
writes
[...]

Double socket, I very much doubt. However, prompted by TNP's comment, I
think I might be able to get away with a single gang module plate (e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gan...le-module-aper
ture-white/42092), and put two modules into it, it would require a stand
off to increase the depth, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 13:55:26 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Double socket, I very much doubt. However, prompted by TNP's comment, I
think I might be able to get away with a single gang module plate (e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gan...le-module-aper
ture-white/42092), and put two modules into it, it would require a stand
off to increase the depth, but that shouldn't be a problem.

They're not modular but I've got 4 x Cat5 sockets on a *single* faceplate in the lounge. Probably from Ebay. It is a tight fit and you'd probably need a stand off / extender.

Means I can patch 16 pairs to the Display Cabinette from the PABX for phone lines:-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 13:55:26 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Double socket, I very much doubt. However, prompted by TNP's comment, I
think I might be able to get away with a single gang module plate (e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gan...le-module-aper
ture-white/42092), and put two modules into it, it would require a stand
off to increase the depth, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Also if you are only using 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, that only uses 2 pairs out of four, so you can use a single data outlet and cable and splitters each end.

Gigabit Ethernet, or Power over Ethernet, will need all 4 pairs per point.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Double socket, I very much doubt. However, prompted by TNP's comment, I
think I might be able to get away with a single gang module plate (e.g.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gan...le-module-aper
ture-white/42092), and put two modules into it, it would require a stand
off to increase the depth, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Modular units tend to be quite wasteful of space. You could likely make up
one from a blank plate using chassis mount sockets to a greater packing
density.

To cut down on filing, quite a few data outlets etc are available in XLR
bodies, which only need a hole cut. You can squeeze 4 on a one gang plate.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 13:25:25 UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
In message , Scott
writes
[...]

There are 2 ways to do it.
1. Sink a metal backbox
2. Mount a surface box.
There really isn't any other option.

If using a surface box, a straightforward twin surface box is more sensible than a convertor box. There is no advantage to the convertor type other than not needing to drill 2 fixing holes, and assorted downsides.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2020 12:33, Andrew wrote:
On 28/04/2020 11:57, Adrian wrote:

I currently have a shallow depth single gang box.Â* If possible, I'd
like to avoid the mess of knocking a hole in the wall to extend this
to make it into a twin (rather than double) gang box.

What is a a twin that isn't double?

A pattress that takes two separate single outlets side by side
as opposed to a back box that takes a single double socket.

And a twin is a bit wider than a double....

--
Cheers,

John.