Paul Duggan

Default From Double Gang Box to Single

I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One of
those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches
with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could hack
the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount the
new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told
that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang
box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down so
far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what they're
called so I might have better luck finding one?
Thanks.
RBM

If you have three standard switches or dimmers in the box, it has to be a
three gang box. If you want to keep two switches or dimmers in the box, you
need to reduce it to two gang. Only if the box is the type with a removable
reducing cover on it, can you change from three gang to two gang leaving the
box in the wall. Most likely it is not and you must remove the box
completely and replace it
"Paul Duggan" wrote in message
om...
I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One of
those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches
with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could hack
the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount the
new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told
that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang
box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down so
far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what they're
called so I might have better luck finding one?
Thanks.

John Grabowski

Paul, I don't understand how you can have 3 devices in a two gang box unless
one is a combination device. It seems to me that you may have a 3 gang box.
Regardless, you can get any type of wall plate configuration that you want
at an electrical supply house. If the configuration that you want is not
available, it can certainly be ordered. In your case you may be looking for
a toggle/blank/toggle configuration. If you plan to use designer dimmers
you could ask for a Decora/blank/Decora configuration. This would put the
dimmers at each end and a blank in the middle of a 3 gang box.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"Paul Duggan" wrote in message
om...
I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One of
those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches
with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could hack
the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount the
new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told
that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang
box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down so
far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what they're
called so I might have better luck finding one?
Thanks.

SQLit

"Paul Duggan" wrote in message
om...
I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One of
those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches
with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could hack
the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount the
new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told
that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang
box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down so
far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what they're
called so I might have better luck finding one?
Thanks.

really depends on what kind of box it is. Plastic/fiber boxes typically used
for residential are not made for new rings. The screw holes for the devices
are in the way.
If you have a metal box then MAYBE.

Either way if you have 3 devices and you want to reduce to 2 then get a
plate like this

Switch, Switch, Blank. Your not going to find one at the home stores. Your
going to have to go to a electric supplier and order it. Expect to pay $10.

SQLit wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks for the replies. I think I was confused about a double-width
plate and 'two-gang'. Yes, it's got three switches on it currently, one
of which I want to do away with. Anyway, it looks like I'm either
making big holes in the wall or sticking with a face-plate of the same
size as what I currently have.
Thanks again.