SQLit wrote:
"Paul Duggan" wrote in message
om...
I have a double gang wall box with a three switch plate on it. One

of
those switches is now redundant and I want to replace the switches
with a single-width plate with two dimmers mounted on it. I could

hack
the old box out of the wall and put a single-gang one in to mount

the
new plate on it, but I want to avoid that if I can. I've been told
that some sort of adapter/converter exists to turn your double gang
box into a single gang one but I've had no lukc tracking one down

so
far. Can anyone confirm if these things exist, and if so what

they're
called so I might have better luck finding one?
Thanks.

really depends on what kind of box it is. Plastic/fiber boxes

typically used
for residential are not made for new rings. The screw holes for the

devices
are in the way.
If you have a metal box then MAYBE.

Either way if you have 3 devices and you want to reduce to 2 then get

plate like this

Switch, Switch, Blank. Your not going to find one at the home

stores. Your
going to have to go to a electric supplier and order it. Expect to

pay $10.

OK, thanks for the replies. I think I was confused about a double-width
plate and 'two-gang'. Yes, it's got three switches on it currently, one
of which I want to do away with. Anyway, it looks like I'm either
making big holes in the wall or sticking with a face-plate of the same
size as what I currently have.
Thanks again.