Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 08:05:56 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 20:13:24 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0

Another splendid troll phucker.
You really are a ****** with mental heath issues. Guess that the
dole has not paid you yet.

I do not abide by government lockdown regulations.

And why don't you answer other people too? You have plenty time now
you have no dog or wife.

Other people do not get up my nose.

I will take that as a compliment. You always considered yourself the king of arguing, but you are in fact in second place. You will never beat me.

Yes, my wife is dead. But I still have my little dog.

You told me Lucy died. Did you get another? Dogs do not live long enough, a good reason to have a parrot. 60-90 years depending on breed.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0

Another splendid troll phucker.
You really are a ****** with mental heath issues. Guess that the
dole has not paid you yet.

I do not abide by government lockdown regulations.

And why don't you answer other people too? You have plenty time now
you have no dog or wife.

Other people do not get up my nose.

I will take that as a compliment. You always considered yourself the
king of arguing, but you are in fact in second place. You will never
beat me.

alt.arguments is long gone.

Yes, my wife is dead. But I still have my little dog.

You told me Lucy died. Did you get another? Dogs do not live long
enough, a good reason to have a parrot. 60-90 years depending on
breed.

Lucy died in 2004. I have now a 10 year old Westie.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:23:47 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 19/04/2020 21:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:54:44 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:31, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:29:37 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:12:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and others....usually in the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then again
cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out of the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the garden
instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

If the pipe is blocked and you empty your bath, then if you have a box,
the water goes everywhere outside. If you have no box, the bath just
stays full and you call a plumber. The second one is preferable
obviously.

In a one pipe combined drainage system where there is no storm water
sewer and if the drain blocks underground and it is raining the water
will back up and will come up the lowest appliance the bath if the
rainwater is into the top of the SVP ....you will have a flood in the
house big time... would like to see you bailing out the bath quicker
than the water backs up into it .......the best way is to take the
rainwater down in its own downpipe to ground level and trap it off into
the combined drain with a vented trap ...then if the underground drain
blocks the rainwater will come out the trap at ground level..... two
pipe systems don't have a vented rainwater trap and the rainwater
downpipe joints are not usually cocked......to be honest hoppers were
just convenient ways of taking pipes from various beaks in the roof to
one downpipe...preferably NOT the SVP for the above reason....sorry I
didn't understand your question ...still don't but HTH ....

Good point, I hadn't thought of roof water going into the sinks and baths.

that's OK .....nobody does we always tried to discourage builders from
sticking rainwater into the top of an SVP but couldn't stop them doing
it ... we could where it was a two pipe system though.....

When did two pipe systems start being used? Because I was surprised to see sinks sharing a pipe with rainwater on a building which I don't think is all that old. Hopefully it goes into the sewer and not the rainwater drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

people used to argue it kept the foul drain fresh and flushed out if not
used much .....

Don't most people do a **** a day?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 10:12:50 +0100, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In this country (Aus) the sullage and the sewerage are kept separate.
The sullage lines go out into the street stormwater drains. They are
*not allowed* to be connected to the sewerage lines. The sewerage lines,
using separate pipes, are plumbed into the sewerage system. If the
sullage were connected to the sewerage, the sewerage treatment plants
get flooded bigtime because when it rains here it really ****es down.

rainwater down in its own downpipe to ground level and trap it off into
the combined drain with a vented trap ...then if the underground drain
blocks the rainwater will come out the trap at ground level..... two
pipe systems don't have a vented rainwater trap and the rainwater
downpipe joints are not usually cocked......to be honest hoppers were
just convenient ways of taking pipes from various beaks in the roof to
one downpipe...preferably NOT the SVP for the above reason....sorry I
didn't understand your question ...still don't but HTH ....

Good point, I hadn't thought of roof water going into the sinks and
baths.
that's OK .....nobody does we always tried to discourage builders from
sticking rainwater into the top of an SVP but couldn't stop them doing
it ... we could where it was a two pipe system though.....

I suppose we use what you would call a two pipe system. There is talk
here of introducing a new third pipe for greywater. That is, water that
comes from baths, sinks, showers, etc. as opposed to sewerage from
toilets. Difficult to retrofit of course but new estates are likely to
be plumbed this way in the near future.

This country is in fact the UK, hence the uk in uk.d-i-y, and we don't do things that way. Millions of old houses put the whole lot down the sewage system.

alt.home.repair is in America you fool, it's sent to two newsgroups.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And somebody checks this regularly do they? Same "rule" applies in the UK, but I sometimes ignore it if the wrong pipe is closer to connect to.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 09:47:39 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 20/4/20 8:07 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Here the rainwater pipes do NOT connect to sanitary sewers AT ALL

WHY do you CAPITALISE for NO reason?

And nowadays we do have seperate piping. Costs more to install two sets
of pipes under the road, but saves money having to clean less waste, but

What??? You already have a *sullage system*. It's more commonly known
as a *storm water system*. The street drains feed into it and that's
where household sullage lines should also feed into. The sewerage is and
always should be separate (note spelling).

It isn't on older houses. I don't know when they introduced storm drains as being seperate. I agree it would be strange if they had those but connected the houses just to the sewer.

when someone connects something to the wrong pipe as I've done for
convenience, sewage goes into the sea.

P.S. you just replied to someone in a uk group and removed that group,
so he didn't see your reply. ****wit.

How to win friends and influence people.

Contrarywise, it is in fact Clare who is not allowing UK folk to see her replies, which is rude.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 09:48:45 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 20/4/20 8:01 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:26:41 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

newsp.0jb5ur0hwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

No its not; Much more convenient for the bath
to keep working until the plumber shows up.

I don't want a bath full of water all over my garden.

Why not? It's grey water so will not harm the *garden*.

If you make your bathwater grey, you ought to see a doctor about your skin complaint.

And it will annoy the person it lands on.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Specially when the entire island is so soggy already.

Hey I actually watered the garden today, hasn't rained for a fortnight.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and others....usually in the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then again cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out of the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the garden instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

It's a British thing, obviously.

Yeah, like communal baths in a tenement. They are welcome to it and
explains why having baths are a *treat* over there.

What have you got against sharing baths? Are you really ugly when naked?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 09:52:53 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 21/4/20 4:27 am, ARW wrote:
On 19/04/2020 20:46, charles wrote:
In article op.0jb2xvjcwdg98l@glass,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0

I still have them. It provides an air break to prevent feedback.

There is some suggestion on certain web sites that it is to increase
flow rate.

The air break will assist in that.

How?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0

Another splendid troll phucker.
You really are a ****** with mental heath issues. Guess that the
dole has not paid you yet.

I do not abide by government lockdown regulations.

And why don't you answer other people too? You have plenty time now
you have no dog or wife.

Other people do not get up my nose.

I will take that as a compliment. You always considered yourself the
king of arguing, but you are in fact in second place. You will never
beat me.

alt.arguments is long gone.

Don't think I've never been in there. All newsgroups are for arguing. And all forums. How many have been banned from?

Yes, my wife is dead. But I still have my little dog.

You told me Lucy died. Did you get another? Dogs do not live long
enough, a good reason to have a parrot. 60-90 years depending on
breed.

Lucy died in 2004. I have now a 10 year old Westie.

Ah, a Scottish dog. I know two, both very yappy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 20:24:42 +0100, Clare Snyder wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Here the roof drains don't even connect to the storm drain. They spill
out onto the lawn where hopefully most of it soaks in before it runs
out onto the street and into the storm drains.

Great way to make your land even soggier. I do the reverse and have a sump pump to lower the water table.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
GB GB is offline

wrote:

Great way to make your land even soggier.* I do the reverse and have a
sump pump to lower the water table.

Yeah right Hucker.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jfsp2b1wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Mad. I only water mine when it hasn't rained for a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jfsrkcjwdg98l@glass...

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0

I still have them. It provides an air break to prevent feedback.

There is some suggestion on certain web sites that it is to increase
flow rate.

The air break will assist in that.

How?

When you have a dam with the hopper the air can't get in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jfq9pwwwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Don't need to, just check that when the house is built or modified.

Sure, you can see that bodged with a new shed etc
when they don't bother to get that approved but
that's not that common. Most of those don't bother
to put the shed roof runoff into any drain, just let
it go onto the garden etc.

Same "rule" applies in the UK, but I sometimes ignore it if the wrong pipe
is closer to connect to.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jfq50djwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

But don't use every dunny for that every day, most obviously
with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I lived in
before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

U-bends mean it doesn't matter if every pipe isn't fresh.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I lived in
before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

They didn't check mine when I modified it, because I didn't tell anyone I modified it. It's my ****ing house.

Sure, you can see that bodged with a new shed etc
when they don't bother to get that approved

Shed, garage, conservatory, not need permission here.

but that's not that common. Most of those don't bother
to put the shed roof runoff into any drain, just let
it go onto the garden etc.

Same here, and with the conservatory. The rain would have ended up in the ground anyway before it was built.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 07:08:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' latest troll**** unread again

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 06:51:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two clinically insane sociopathic cretins' latest troll****
unread again

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 06:53:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two trolling brain damaged sociopathic cretins' latest troll****
unread

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jfz15ntwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

He didn't mean fresh in that sense, turds and **** lying in
the sewer past the bend for weeks or months. That doesn't
happen with the rain water and sewer are the one pipe.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I lived
in
before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If they're past the bend who cares?

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:18 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 08:18:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH 108 !!! lines of the two sociopathic cretins' troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Another TYPICAL retarded "conversation" between sociopath Rodent and
sociopath Birdbrain from August 26th 2018:

Birdbrain: "I have one head but 5 fingers."

Senile Rodent: "Obvious lie. You hairy legged cross dressers are so inbred
that you all have two heads."

Birdbrain: "You're the one that likes hairy legs remember?"

Senile Rodent: "The problem isnt the hairy legs, it's the gross inbreeding
that
produces two headed unemployables like you."

Birdbrain: "So why did you mention hairy legs?"

Senile Rodent: "Because that's what those who arent actually stupid enough
to shave their legs have."

Birdbrain: "You only have hairy legs if both of the following are true:
1) You're quite far back on the evolutionary scale.
2) You haven't learned what a razor is for."

Senile Rodent: "Only a terminal ****wit or a woman shaves their legs."

Birdbrain: "There is literally zero point in having hair all over your
body."

Senile Rodent: "There is even less point in wasting your time changing what
you are born with."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jf3czzywdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Those who have to unblock them.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default FLUSH 135 !!! Lines of Sick Troll****...

....and much better air in here, again!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Depends on the size of the plants. Ones that have been there a while have deeper roots.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Blockages are caused by toilet paper, not ****.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jf6mzg5wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Blockages are in fact not caused by toilet paper at all.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

Sure, but we have never had outhouses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Funny how there's so much of it when you clear the pipe. It swells up. A plumber told me Izal didn't have this problem.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

Sure, but we have never had outhouses.

ROTFPMSL!
https://www.thebananabenderpub.com.a...-registrations
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0jf6zccpwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Only for you fools that are actually stupid enough
to use and entire roll every day for each person.

It swells up.

No it doesn't.

A plumber told me Izal didn't have this problem.

There is no problem.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

Sure, but we have never had outhouses.

ROTFPMSL!
https://www.thebananabenderpub.com.a...-registrations

Yoi're just jealous...

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

a cludgy if you don't mind ...
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

or should that be cludgie ...think so
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 09:00:28 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

a cludgy if you don't mind ...

Why would he, troll-feeding senile asshole! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jfz15ntwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:10:12 +0100, Rod Speed

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

a cludgy if you don't mind ...

or should that be cludgie ...think so

Thanks for learning how to snip posts

Thanks dumbo
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

The job is described in census returns in the UK as "gong farmer" or "night
soil".

My grandpa, who lived in a small town in the woollen manufacturing area of
West Yorkshire, could remember when he was little (so maybe 1910-15) a man
leading a horse-drawn cart with a big wooden barrel, calling out "Old Wesh"
(wash). This was one of those street-vendor's calls that sounds like
gibberish because it's said so many times (as in the Morecambe and Wise
"Morny Stannit" sketch). But this man was actually asking people to take out
their chamberpots of **** to pour into the barrel: stale urine was used for
treating the wool - not sure whether it was part of the fulling process or
for fixing the dye into the wool.