Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jf6mzg5wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:38:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jf3czzywdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:18:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jfz15ntwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:10:12 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jfq50djwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:39:54 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 21:23, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/04/2020 21:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:54:44 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:31, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:29:37 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:12:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some
sort
of
overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and
others....usually
in
the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then
again
cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were
for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out
of
the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the
garden
instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

If the pipe is blocked and you empty your bath, then if you
have
box,
the water goes everywhere outside. If you have no box, the
bath
just
stays full and you call a plumber. The second one is
preferable
obviously.

In a one pipe combined drainage system where there is no storm
water
sewer and if the drain blocks underground and it is raining the
water
will back up and will come up the lowest appliance the bath if
the
rainwater is into the top of the SVP ....you will have a flood
in
the
house big time... would like to see you bailing out the bath
quicker
than the water backs up into it .......the best way is to take
the
rainwater down in its own downpipe to ground level and trap it
off
into
the combined drain with a vented trap ...then if the underground
drain
blocks the rainwater will come out the trap at ground level.....
two
pipe systems don't have a vented rainwater trap and the
rainwater
downpipe joints are not usually cocked......to be honest hoppers
were
just convenient ways of taking pipes from various beaks in the
roof
one downpipe...preferably NOT the SVP for the above
reason....sorry
didn't understand your question ...still don't but HTH ....

Good point, I hadn't thought of roof water going into the sinks
and
baths.
that's OK .....nobody does we always tried to discourage builders
from
sticking rainwater into the top of an SVP but couldn't stop them
doing
it ...
people used to argue it kept the foul drain fresh and flushed out
if
not
used much .....

Don't most people do a **** a day?

But don't use every dunny for that every day,

U-bends mean it doesn't matter if every pipe isn't fresh.

He didn't mean fresh in that sense, turds and **** lying in
the sewer past the bend for weeks or months. That doesn't
happen with the rain water and sewer are the one pipe.

If they're past the bend who cares?

Those who have to unblock them.

Blockages are caused by toilet paper, not ****.

Blockages are in fact not caused by toilet paper at all.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

Sure, but we have never had outhouses.