Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 09:48:45 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 20/4/20 8:01 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 21:26:41 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jb5ur0hwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:29:37 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:12:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and others....usually in the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then again
cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out of the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the garden
instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

If the pipe is blocked and you empty your bath, then if you have a box,
the water goes everywhere outside. If you have no box, the bath just
stays full and you call a plumber. The second one is preferable
obviously.

No its not; Much more convenient for the bath
to keep working until the plumber shows up.

I don't want a bath full of water all over my garden.

Why not? It's grey water so will not harm the *garden*.

If you make your bathwater grey, you ought to see a doctor about your skin complaint.

And it will annoy the person it lands on.