Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Work top edging glue recommendations please

I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on, simple I thought, but
neither of my contact adhesives seem to work well. I'm sure I *used*
to use contact adhesive for this but it really doesn't seem so sticky
as it used to be. (The ones I have are Syntic plastic adhesive from
Germany and Toolstation spray adhesive which has worked well for me in
other applications)

So I did a web search and while quite a few people seemed to be using
contact adhesive there were quite a few suggesting PVA plus, maybe,
ironing it. Is PVA + iron a sensible way of doing it? I have PVA 'in
stock' so if it works then that will be a good way to do it.

Otherwise what contact/impact adhesive is recommended?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PVA needs to soak into the surface of the material being bonded so good tor porous material but poor with impervious materials. Its a couple of years I last bonded an edging strip but at the time managed to get hold of traditional impact adhesive (cannot remember the brand) but this modern stuff is crap!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 April 2020 13:18:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on

CT1 sealant adhesive?

Iron-on only works with edging strips that have the iron-on glue granules already on.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2020 13:12, Chris Green wrote:

I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on, simple I thought, but
neither of my contact adhesives seem to work well. I'm sure I *used*
to use contact adhesive for this but it really doesn't seem so sticky
as it used to be. (The ones I have are Syntic plastic adhesive from
Germany and Toolstation spray adhesive which has worked well for me in
other applications)

A proper solvent based glue like the original Evostick or Bostick have
worked well for me in the past.

So I did a web search and while quite a few people seemed to be using
contact adhesive there were quite a few suggesting PVA plus, maybe,
ironing it. Is PVA + iron a sensible way of doing it? I have PVA 'in
stock' so if it works then that will be a good way to do it.

Otherwise what contact/impact adhesive is recommended?

Ironing will only work with proper iron on edging I would have thought?
PVA might be good choice[1] for sealing the cut edge prior to glueing,
but it would not be my first choice for gluing the edge on.

[1] Although these days I would use SBR rather than PVA, since it
penetrates better, and is totally water insoluble once cured.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 April 2020 15:31:17 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I believe the iron on edging uses PVA as the hot melt glue.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2020 13:12, Chris Green wrote:
I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on, simple I thought, but
neither of my contact adhesives seem to work well. I'm sure I *used*
to use contact adhesive for this but it really doesn't seem so sticky
as it used to be. (The ones I have are Syntic plastic adhesive from
Germany and Toolstation spray adhesive which has worked well for me in
other applications)

So I did a web search and while quite a few people seemed to be using
contact adhesive there were quite a few suggesting PVA plus, maybe,
ironing it. Is PVA + iron a sensible way of doing it? I have PVA 'in
stock' so if it works then that will be a good way to do it.

Otherwise what contact/impact adhesive is recommended?

Original Evostick contact glue works for me.

Mike

Time for a new desk top PC, recommendations please Broadback[_3_] UK diy 65 March 5th 19 10:01 AM
Hot glue guns... Recommendations please.. jim UK diy 15 January 31st 18 11:17 PM
Glue Gun - recommendations, please Kevin UK diy 7 April 3rd 15 09:43 PM
Best glue for edging Jim S UK diy 11 January 15th 14 10:04 PM
Bottom power plugs do not work. Top ones work. [email protected] Home Repair 18 February 11th 07 06:39 PM