Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue Gun - recommendations, please

One of those tools I've put off buying, but I'm now convinced that one
might be a Good Thing.

But which one?

Is the Bosch PKP18E (£20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I'm only expecting to use it occasionally, but I hate chucking toy tools
away.

While we're about it, any recommendations on Glue Sticks, which seem to
vary in price enormously?

--
Kevin
(earliest post I can find - late 1996 - see thread passim)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

One of those tools I've put off buying, but I'm now convinced that one
might be a Good Thing.

I've got a little, old bostick one, takes the thin sticks rather than
the fat ones, does the job, tends to dribble-on a bit after you let go
the trigger, using el-cheapo sticks from Amazon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2015 22:09, Kevin wrote:
One of those tools I've put off buying, but I'm now convinced that one
might be a Good Thing.

But which one?

Is the Bosch PKP18E (£20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I'm only expecting to use it occasionally, but I hate chucking toy tools
away.

While we're about it, any recommendations on Glue Sticks, which seem to
vary in price enormously?

The cheap one I had was a pain because the trigger didn't work well and
the sticks had to be pushed. The Bosch has worked well for 5 years or so
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2015 22:09, Kevin wrote:
One of those tools I've put off buying, but I'm now convinced that one
might be a Good Thing.

But which one?

Is the Bosch PKP18E (£20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I'm only expecting to use it occasionally, but I hate chucking toy tools
away.

While we're about it, any recommendations on Glue Sticks, which seem to
vary in price enormously?

I've got one which I bought at Lidl a few years ago, and it works fairly
well - although I've got nothing to compare it with. Can't remember how
much it was, but I think it was less than £15 - complete with stand and
carry-case.

The only two (minor) problems with it a
1. It takes a long time to heat up before the glue will run (but maybe
they all do?)

2. You can't remove a glue stick once fitted, and if you fit a new one
towards the end of a job, there's too much sticking out of the back to
get the gun into its case.

I've only ever used Lidl's own glue sticks - and I've got rather a lot!
[I bought some more when they were on offer, forgetting that I'd already
got an unopened pack!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

after the angrinder there is the glue gun.
Get the Bosch with the long nozzle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:09:58 +0100, Kevin
wrote:

Is the Bosch PKP18E (20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I've had both the Bosch and Arrow and both failed after a few years
not particularly heavy use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 02/04/2015 22:09, Kevin wrote:
One of those tools I've put off buying, but I'm now convinced that one
might be a Good Thing.

But which one?

Is the Bosch PKP18E (£20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I'm only expecting to use it occasionally, but I hate chucking toy tools
away.

While we're about it, any recommendations on Glue Sticks, which seem to
vary in price enormously?

The cheap one I had was a pain because the trigger didn't work well and
the sticks had to be pushed. The Bosch has worked well for 5 years or so

My super el cheapo works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 7:13:27 PM UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:09:58 +0100, Kevin
wrote:

Is the Bosch PKP18E (Ł20) much better than a Titan TTB580HTL at half the
price? And not quite as good as an Arrow TR550 from toolstation?

I've had both the Bosch and Arrow and both failed after a few years
not particularly heavy use.

the failure mode I have found is leaving it switched on by accident.