Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Work top edging glue recommendations please

On 13/04/2020 13:12, Chris Green wrote:

I need to stick a couple of worktop edges on, simple I thought, but
neither of my contact adhesives seem to work well. I'm sure I *used*
to use contact adhesive for this but it really doesn't seem so sticky
as it used to be. (The ones I have are Syntic plastic adhesive from
Germany and Toolstation spray adhesive which has worked well for me in
other applications)

A proper solvent based glue like the original Evostick or Bostick have
worked well for me in the past.

So I did a web search and while quite a few people seemed to be using
contact adhesive there were quite a few suggesting PVA plus, maybe,
ironing it. Is PVA + iron a sensible way of doing it? I have PVA 'in
stock' so if it works then that will be a good way to do it.

Otherwise what contact/impact adhesive is recommended?

Ironing will only work with proper iron on edging I would have thought?
PVA might be good choice[1] for sealing the cut edge prior to glueing,
but it would not be my first choice for gluing the edge on.

[1] Although these days I would use SBR rather than PVA, since it
penetrates better, and is totally water insoluble once cured.

--
Cheers,

John.