Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best glue for edging

I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps
coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back
from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none
seem to last very long. Any suggestions?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps
coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back
from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none
seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

You need to sand off all the existing glue. Then try a high strength
impact adhesive, or superglue.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:00:57 AM UTC, Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps

coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back

from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none

seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

--

Jim S

Tyneside UK

www.jimscott.co.uk

You would really need to get some new edging as the existing stuff is probably manky. For myself I'd take the desk edge back slightly with a router to get a clean surface then get some iron on edging. The original was applied with hot melt glue wit an edging machine. You won't be able to replicate this easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which
keeps coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it
back from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand,
but none seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

A decent impact adhesive and some pressure for a while till it dries? But
clean off as much as you can of the old stuff. Sadly, Evostick seems to be
a shadow of its former self since they changed the solvent - I find the
stuff Lidl sometimes sells rather better - and cheaper.

Other stuff which is good is Evostick Serious - but that does need
clamping or whatever until it dries.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim S" wrote in message
news
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps
coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back
from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but
none
seem to last very long. Any suggestions?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
www.jimscott.co.uk

I would replace it with stripwood which could be pinned and glued and use
wood glue (cleaning the old surface well).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:00:57 AM UTC, Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps
coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back
from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none
seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

Use an iron to stick it back. You may find the new glue wont melt & stick though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 13:16, fred wrote:
On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:00:57 AM UTC, Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps

coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back

from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none

seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

--

Jim S

Tyneside UK

www.jimscott.co.uk

You would really need to get some new edging as the existing stuff is probably manky. For myself I'd take the desk edge back slightly with a router to get a clean surface then get some iron on edging. The original was applied with hot melt glue wit an edging machine. You won't be able to replicate this easily.

Having installed a number of worktops in a school a few years ago (8?) I
found that i had a good fix by sanding down the chipboard to a smooth
surface and then attaching the unglued edging which came with the
worktop using contact adhesive. Most of the edges applied this way are
still there looking good.

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright writes:

Jim S wrote:
I have a computer 'desk' with simulated wood ie plastic edging which keeps
coming away when I catch it with my feet/hands/clothing. I glue it back
from time to time with yoohoo and other glues which come to hand, but none
seem to last very long. Any suggestions?

You need to sand off all the existing glue. Then try a high strength
impact adhesive, or superglue.

Is that 'Gorilla glue' any good? Supposedly it foams (which would fill
gaps) and can only be removed by mechanical means once set (which
suggests it might be reasonably strong).
I used some to attach wood trim at the back of a worktop, where contact
cement kept failing, but have no idea if it'll be any good in the long
run.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane? blueman Home Repair 7 January 23rd 20 02:44 PM
Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue? JakeD UK diy 22 December 11th 07 02:15 PM
Glue the coil to the inverter circuit board? Why?Need glue after the reapir??? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 24th 06 03:26 PM
Edging soup UK diy 2 September 23rd 06 09:39 PM
edging Ed D Ball UK diy 4 May 8th 06 02:06 AM