Old February 14th 20, 02:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 Hour time delay switch

My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon..

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

Old February 14th 20, 02:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night
time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of
hot water in the afternoon.

My heater timer has 'boost' buttons for all three zones...

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Old February 14th 20, 02:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later
and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time
operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water
in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which
could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot
water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the
hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say
5 mins.

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric
room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._2/index.htmle

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old February 14th 20, 02:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later
and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time
operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water
in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which
could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot
water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the
hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say
5 mins.

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric
room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._2/index.htmle

That link works better without the "e" on the end.
Old February 14th 20, 03:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old February 14th 20, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Like I said, my time switch for the emersion heater is self contained, my
storage heater economy 7 is on a special circuit but the other switch for
the immersion heater echoes the same times just in case. It has an internal
rechargeable too which had tobe replaced at the last power cut.
I'm sure such devices have to still exist. It just has two buttons one for
an hour over ride and one for off, when its off the internal timer can still
turn it on.

In the case of the Immersion heater not being wired through a timer, then
you can get complicated a bit.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old February 14th 20, 04:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

But it might be a naked one.
Old February 14th 20, 04:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.

It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day,
plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.

Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely
on the 1-hour boost facility.

Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will
stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her
tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single
people.

Old February 14th 20, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 February 2020 15:53:28 UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before installation
it seems so has fallen apart at the back.

My timer is

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-24-ho...220-240v/3212r

I prefer the mechanical version, and I can set it to come on for 15 mins
before I get home so around 6pm to 6:15pm, just to top up the temperature,
when I think I need to.

Delay, DeLay Rex B Metalworking 0 April 5th 06 06:09 PM
Delay, DeLay Rex B Metalworking 0 April 4th 06 07:57 PM
OT - DeLay, DeLay [email protected] Metalworking 17 September 30th 05 03:04 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 10:06 AM
OT - Delay, Delay Steve Mackay Metalworking 3 April 9th 05 02:02 PM