DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   2 Hour time delay switch (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644592-2-hour-time-delay-switch.html)

simon mitchelmore February 14th 20 02:08 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon..

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 14th 20 02:32 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night
time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of
hot water in the afternoon.

My heater timer has 'boost' buttons for all three zones...

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

charles February 14th 20 02:42 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later
and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time
operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water
in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which
could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot
water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the
hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say
5 mins.

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric
room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._2/index.htmle

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Davidm February 14th 20 02:56 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later
and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time
operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water
in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which
could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot
water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the
hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say
5 mins.

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric
room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._2/index.htmle

That link works better without the "e" on the end.

Jimk February 14th 20 03:42 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 14th 20 04:38 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

My time switch has an override button which only lets it run for a
predetermined time in my case its an hour.
That has been installed for many years so I thought it might be standard
issue.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 14th 20 04:43 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

Like I said, my time switch for the emersion heater is self contained, my
storage heater economy 7 is on a special circuit but the other switch for
the immersion heater echoes the same times just in case. It has an internal
rechargeable too which had tobe replaced at the last power cut.
I'm sure such devices have to still exist. It just has two buttons one for
an hour over ride and one for off, when its off the internal timer can still
turn it on.

In the case of the Immersion heater not being wired through a timer, then
you can get complicated a bit.
Brian

--
----- --

newshound February 14th 20 04:47 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

But it might be a naked one.

Andrew[_22_] February 14th 20 04:53 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

You need a Smiths Immersion heater timer.

It can be set to come on for one or two periods per day,
plus a button that gives a timed 1 hour boost.

Without using the daily timing periods you can just rely
on the 1-hour boost facility.

Actually, giving it 30 to 45 minutes at night off-peak will
stop any legionaires bugs getting a hold anyway. If her
tank is well lagged it will last all day for most single
people.

whisky-dave[_2_] February 14th 20 05:17 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On Friday, 14 February 2020 15:53:28 UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before installation
it seems so has fallen apart at the back.

My timer is

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-24-ho...220-240v/3212r

I prefer the mechanical version, and I can set it to come on for 15 mins
before I get home so around 6pm to 6:15pm, just to top up the temperature,
when I think I need to.

ss February 14th 20 05:26 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 16:17, whisky-dave wrote:
I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

This any use, I dont know about ratings etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-In-C...AOSwLwBaiEc z

simon mitchelmore February 14th 20 05:26 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

Thanks all for the solutions. TLC or Toolstation here I come!

Have a good weekend.

John February 14th 20 05:29 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

whisky-dave wrote in
:

On Friday, 14 February 2020 15:53:28 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day

because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is minimal if
water is not being run off?

simon mitchelmore February 14th 20 05:53 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is minimal if
water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

John February 14th 20 06:39 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

ARW February 14th 20 07:36 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:56, Davidm wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:42:24 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
[...]

You could have posted a new link without the e to save me the time in
deleting the e:-)

--
Adam

ARW February 14th 20 07:39 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 14:24, Jimk wrote:
simon mitchelmore Wrote in message:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

This one is better

https://www.toolstation.com/bollockinthisbit/p66796

--
Adam

ARW February 14th 20 08:39 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 19:30, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/02/2020 14:24, Jimk wrote:
simon mitchelmore Wrote in message:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

https://www.toolstation.com/2-hour-e...t-timer/p66796

This one is better

https://www.toolstation.com/bollockinthisbit/p66796

Marginally ;-)

You can do the same on most company links. Or even get rid of the ********.

Steve Walker[_5_] February 15th 20 12:20 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 17:39, John wrote:
simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

As the problem is caused by running out of hot water, getting it hotter
and so using less of it, may solve the problem.

SteveW

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 15th 20 07:04 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 15:47, newshound wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

But it might be a naked one.

She might have it installed in her freezer, too

Jimk February 15th 20 09:41 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/02/2020 19:30, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/02/2020 14:24, Jimk wrote:
[...]

Er.... Mornington Crescent!!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dave Plowman (News) February 15th 20 11:51 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Mine isn;t particualr well insulated, the jacket was put on before
installation it seems so has fallen apart at the back.

Perhaps you need to find a qualified tech to replace it? ;-)

A poorly insulated hot water cylinder is a good way of wasting money.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Clive Arthur February 15th 20 05:27 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat
switches?

Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?

--
Cheers
Clive

[email protected] February 15th 20 06:49 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 16:28:03 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say 5 mins.

How about a button which turns the heater on only until the thermostat
switches?

Easily feasible of course, but does anyone make such a thing?

Relays/contactors aren't hard to find.

NT

Max Demian February 15th 20 07:31 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 15/02/2020 17:49, wrote:
[...]

Put the relay coil in series with the load with a push button that
shunts the relay contacts. You switch it on with the button and the
current through the load keeps the contacts closed until the thermostat
cuts the current through the element.

--
Max Demian

[email protected] February 15th 20 07:51 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 18:31:40 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/02/2020 17:49, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Only downside of that setup is it takes all year to heat the tank :)
Put the coil across the load side & it'll work. I'd ensure that one of the stats is not bridged by the switch.

NT

Andrew[_22_] February 15th 20 08:03 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 17:39, John wrote:
simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

It is usual to leave it set at 60 centigrade. Too much higher can
be dangerous to an unsuspecting user.

Andrew[_22_] February 15th 20 08:04 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 23:20, Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/02/2020 17:39, John wrote:
simon mitchelmore wrote in
:

Is the thermostat set at a suitable temp so that consumption is
minimal if water is not being run off?

Good idea; I've already adjusted it up quite a lot but I might as well
max it out as a trial, I'll check it's not scalding.

I was more concerned that you may have it too high and be wasting energy.
The hotter it is = the greater the losses, but the less you use.

As the problem is caused by running out of hot water, getting it hotter
and so using less of it, may solve the problem.

SteveW

Is this flat in a hard water area though ?.
A timer that gives two periods of 30 mins per day, set to occur just
before the most common usage time, with a boost override might seem
a better idea.

Andrew[_22_] February 15th 20 08:07 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 15/02/2020 16:27, Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

If you had a cylinder lagged with the equivalent of 4 inches
of celotex (I believe you can get them), you could consider
leaving it on all the time, and use the stat to keep the
temperature at a slightly lower temp, like 50 C

[email protected] February 15th 20 10:30 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On Saturday, 15 February 2020 19:07:23 UTC, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Your post has had 433 thumbs up from deadly bacteria.

NT

RJH[_2_] February 16th 20 06:05 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14 Feb 2020 at 13:32:21 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

Water kept at 60C in a 20C room for 2 days? Things have moved on since my day
- do you have a link to a cylinder that can manage that?

--
Cheers, Rob

alan_m February 16th 20 09:09 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the hall but this does not solve the problem.

Not a solution to your problem but I had a spare back box and blanking
plate next to my immersion heater switch (upstairs hallway outside
bathroom where the tank is fitted).

I fitted a high intensity blue flashing LED that comes on when the
immersion heater switch is on. The LED, with the integral 1.5 Hz
flashing circuit) gets its 5V supply ( LED plus series resistor) from
the innards of a mains to USB converter. It is a very small circuit
board that I enclosed in a small plastic box to isolate it from the
metal back box.

It's now virtually impossible to notice that the immersion has been left on.

https://tinyurl.com/u2qjsod

alan_m February 16th 20 09:14 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

That's assuming no water is used during the day. The immersion heater
could kick in during non economy 7 periods.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 16th 20 09:36 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 16/02/2020 08:14, alan_m wrote:
On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

That's assuming no water is used during the day.

When it will be somewhat less.

The immersion heater
could kick in during non economy 7 periods.

which makes no difference to it's heat loss

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

RJH[_2_] February 16th 20 11:23 AM

2 Hour time delay switch

wrote:

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

Water kept at 60C in a 20C room for 2 days? Things have moved on since my day
- do you have a link to a cylinder that can manage that?

Ah and again - my inability to understand heat loss - 50W standing loss is not
untypical for a decent tank. Fore example:
https://www.jouleuk.co.uk/knowledge-...tel%20Indirect

--
Cheers, Rob

Martin Brown[_2_] February 16th 20 12:59 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

On 14/02/2020 13:42, charles wrote:
In article , simon
mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the day
because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days later
and so gets big bills. She'e on Economy 7, so its set for night time
operation but being a small capacity it sometimes runs out of hot water
in the afternoon.

Does anyone know of a simple button type switch I could fit for her which
could be preset for say 2 hours (ON), so she can hit it (to boost the hot
water) and forget it. I've already fitted a red indicator light in the
hall but this does not solve the problem.

How much of a problem it is may depend on the quality of insulation
around the tank. Might be worth using an Owl power monitor to see if the
consumption from leaving it on is enough to be worth worrying about.

A well lagged one won't actually lose that much heat ~50W or probably
less until you draw water and add fresh cold water from the mains.

I've seen similar device for communal lighting but they only work for say
5 mins.

TLC sell such a device. I fitted one in our village hall on an electric
room heater - in case the hirer forgets to turn it off.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

Likewise in our VH. Otherwise someone will leave it on and the big old
tank was not especially well lagged. It got really interesting when the
immersion heater thermostat failed closed once and it boiled the tank. A
jet of steam and hot water came out of the overflow as it bumped.

We also have an Owl monitor so that when leaving you can see if the base
load is unexpectedly high. People do tend to leave warming cupboards,
outside lights and other equipment on if not reminded to switch off at
every opportunity. The most thirsty are now all on countdown timers
(ours do 1/2,1,2,4 hours) and a slightly eerie blue LED glow.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 16th 20 01:02 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

wrote:

On 14/02/2020 13:08, simon mitchelmore wrote:
My friend is too scared to turn on the immersion heater during the
day because she is absent minded and only remembers its on a few days
later and so gets big bills.

Not from an immersion heater she wont.

Total heat loss from a decent cylinder is probably less than 50W

Water kept at 60C in a 20C room for 2 days? Things have moved on since my day
- do you have a link to a cylinder that can manage that?

Ah and again - my inability to understand heat loss - 50W standing loss is not
untypical for a decent tank. Fore example:
https://www.jouleuk.co.uk/knowledge-...tel%20Indirect

I have seen so many peopel that worry needlessly about their hot water.
from people who think that a half filled kettle or having a shower
insyead of a bath will save the planet, to people who think that solar
water heaters on theior rooves will save half their heating costs - when
its half their water heating costs.

I use the same ampunt of hot water summer and winter, In summer I use
virtually no oil at all. In winter I use over 250l a WEEK

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus

Roger Hayter[_2_] February 16th 20 01:46 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

wrote:

[...]

I am glad I am not the only one with an incurably poorly insulated
house!

--

Roger Hayter

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 16th 20 01:54 PM

2 Hour time delay switch

wrote:

[...]

My house is VERY well insulated. Its just BIG

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain