Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker hood breeze

In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is hardly convenient!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:18:18 UTC, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is hardly convenient!

Does it have "back draft shutters" fitted?
They are thin light plastic spring loaded flaps (usually a pair,
each semi circular) usually mounted immediately before the
ducting connects to the fan output spigot.

They are pushed open by airflow from the fan being on, then when
fan is off they shut due to their springs. You usually hear them
as they "slap" shut after the fan is switched off...

When switched on or off, it makes no noise (other than the motor).

I didn't fit it - so will check out the documentation and have a look. Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/20 22:07, polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is hardly convenient!

You could try a cowl vent or flap vent as shown he
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/air-vents/cat840496

Either can help, but aren't perfect. The cowl vent can let some air in
as it's still open to the outside. The flap vent is closed, but the one
I used would make a noise as wind rushed past it and pulled it open,
allowing it to fall back when the wind dropped, and make a tapping
noise. I had to fit a sort of restrictor so it could open only a cm.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:27:20 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I should have gone out and checked what is visible on the side! :-) Because of the arrangement of houses here, we virtually never even look up that side. (Not that it is a problem to do so!)

Will check in the morning.

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 22:20, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

You can get external versions as well - ours has three horizontal
shutters, each hinged from its top edge. They are not as good though,
ours sometimes blows up and gets one trapped behind the one above,
stopping it closing properly.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

If it hasn't and it isn't easy to fit one a less effective but useful
alternative is a louvred vent on the outside wall with slats that close
up when there isn't any outflow. These can be relatively easily
retrofitted. Example:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-f...-white-x/18561

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 22:31, polygonum_on_google wrote:

You could try a cowl vent or flap vent as shown he
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/air-vents/cat840496

Some cowls also have the inbuilt flap that only opens with airflow from
one direction

https://www.toolstation.com/round-du...-outlet/p18869

I have one fitted to an extractor fan BUT I had to shave around a
quarter of inch off the bottom of the flap to give more clearance so it
operated smoothly.

Note: the link above maybe the wrong size fitting for your ducting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 23:10, alan_m wrote:
On 28/01/2020 22:31, polygonum_on_google wrote:

You could try a cowl vent or flap vent as shown he
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/air-vents/cat840496

Some cowls also have the inbuilt flap that only opens with airflow from
one direction

Single flap hinged at the top

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

If it already has one of those, it isnt unknown for one or more to either
get stuck open - sometimes a bit of muck or just having been forced too far
by the wind etc- or be broken off. The one on our bathroom seemed
especially prone at one stage until I changed it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:07:53 UTC, polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is hardly convenient!

There are gravity closed airflow opened shutters - you might have one that's stuck open. They blow open in wind and stick open on occasion. Then there are solenoid & wax motor powered flaps, they're much better, staying shut when they should. Solenoids go clunk when they operate, wax motors are silent. Both require power.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 23:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

They do tend to flap open and shut in blustery weather though, making a
bit of a racket. The ones inline with the duct tend to be a little
better and quieter IME.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They can't be fitted to cooker hoods. The grease soon jams them.
Usually the metal filters stops much backdraught.
Are the filters fitted?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Utter ******** - they are a standard fit.

The grease soon jams them.
Usually the metal filters stops much backdraught.

The filters are there to filter the grease before it gets through
the fan...

Are the filters fitted?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside.
Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap
between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine
when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not
using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is
hardly convenient!

The vent on my cooker hood has flaps on it which only open when the fan is
running. You used to be able to get electrically operated ones , too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , harry
wrote:
[...]

Rubbish - mine works even after 31 years. The filters in the hood collect
thgrease.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 23:10:45 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 28/01/2020 22:31, polygonum_on_google wrote:

You could try a cowl vent or flap vent as shown he
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/air-vents/cat840496

Some cowls also have the inbuilt flap that only opens with airflow from
one direction

https://www.toolstation.com/round-du...-outlet/p18869

I have one fitted to an extractor fan BUT I had to shave around a
quarter of inch off the bottom of the flap to give more clearance so it
operated smoothly.

Note: the link above maybe the wrong size fitting for your ducting

SF doesn't seem to have a cowl vent suitable for 150mm - I'd guess that most
ext. fans for kitchens are 150mm - cooker hoods could be smaller.
I used the 'giant' version to ensure that the open area was a lot bigger
than the opening of the fan. Selection he
https://www.toolstation.com/ventilat...s-grilles/c376
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2020 07:28, harry wrote:

They can't be fitted to cooker hoods. The grease soon jams them.
Usually the metal filters stops much backdraught.
Are the filters fitted?

In a domestic cooker hood the grease filter is usually the first stage
of filtering. You want to stop grease, that may go rancid, from
entering and lining the ducting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2020 22:18, Jimk wrote:
Does it have "back draft shutters" fitted?
They are thin light plastic spring loaded flaps (usually a pair,
each semi circular) usually mounted immediately before the
ducting connects to the fan output spigot.

They are pushed open by airflow from the fan being on, then when
fan is off they shut due to their springs. You usually hear them
as they "slap" shut after the fan is switched off...

And constantly slapping open and shut when we have strong gusty winds :-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside.
Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap
between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine
when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are not
using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is
hardly convenient!

The vent on my cooker hood has flaps on it which only open when the fan is
running. You used to be able to get electrically operated ones , too.

While we are here... has anyone found an easy way of stopping horizontal
vent flaps rattling in windy weather?

I mean to wrap a turn of duct tape around ours.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2020 09:28, PeterC wrote:
SF doesn't seem to have a cowl vent suitable for 150mm - I'd guess that most
ext. fans for kitchens are 150mm

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGBD6W.html - white but other
colours available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Browsing a Screwfix or Toolstation catalogue whilst sitting on the bog
prepares you for all sorts od issues. You get to know wat is available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , charles
writes
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside.
Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap
between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine
when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are
not
using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is
hardly convenient!

The vent on my cooker hood has flaps on it which only open when the fan is
running. You used to be able to get electrically operated ones , too.

While we are here... has anyone found an easy way of stopping horizontal
vent flaps rattling in windy weather?

I mean to wrap a turn of duct tape around ours.

My exhaust fan has a multi horizontal bladed electric shutter
inside the house. Nothing happens in strong winds, no leaks
of warm air in the house with it off. It does open with a hell
of a bang when you turn the fan on, but you soon get used
to that. And two great big headed screws and the whole
thing comes off and all the plastic and none of the electrics
comes off and its fine in the dishwasher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:44 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 03:44:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

03:44? LOL Listen, senile idiot, when you troll AT NIGHT, but sleep during
the day, you will NEVER meet people in real life with who you could quarrel!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2020 09:58, Tim Lamb wrote:

While we are here... has anyone found an easy way of stopping horizontal
vent flaps rattling in windy weather?

I stuck a length of type D draught strip
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/v695nlf) along the bottom of the back of
each flap. It doesn't stop them from flapping about but does reduce the
rattling noise.