Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cooker hood breeze

polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:18:18 UTC, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented
outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into
the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty
windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in
the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are
not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that
is hardly convenient!

Does it have "back draft shutters" fitted?
They are thin light plastic spring loaded flaps (usually a pair,
each semi circular) usually mounted immediately before the
ducting connects to the fan output spigot.

They are pushed open by airflow from the fan being on, then when
fan is off they shut due to their springs. You usually hear them
as they "slap" shut after the fan is switched off...
When switched on or off, it makes no noise (other than the motor).

I didn't fit it - so will check out the documentation and have a look.
Thank you.

If it hasn't and it isn't easy to fit one a less effective but useful
alternative is a louvred vent on the outside wall with slats that close
up when there isn't any outflow. These can be relatively easily
retrofitted. Example:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-f...-white-x/18561

--

Roger Hayter