Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Cooker hood breeze

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , charles
writes
In article ,
polygonum_on_google wrote:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside.
Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap
between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty windy. Fine
when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are
not
using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that is
hardly convenient!

The vent on my cooker hood has flaps on it which only open when the fan is
running. You used to be able to get electrically operated ones , too.

While we are here... has anyone found an easy way of stopping horizontal
vent flaps rattling in windy weather?

I mean to wrap a turn of duct tape around ours.

My exhaust fan has a multi horizontal bladed electric shutter
inside the house. Nothing happens in strong winds, no leaks
of warm air in the house with it off. It does open with a hell
of a bang when you turn the fan on, but you soon get used
to that. And two great big headed screws and the whole
thing comes off and all the plastic and none of the electrics
comes off and its fine in the dishwasher.