Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Cooker hood breeze

In article , harry
wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 January 2020 22:18:18 UTC, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented
outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into
the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty
windy. Fine when cooking, but makes the whole kitchen a bit chilly in
the winter.

Is there a simple (but effective) way of reducing airflow when we are
not using it?

Obviously we could shove a rolled up newspaper in the hole - but that
is hardly convenient!

Does it have "back draft shutters" fitted? They are thin light plastic
spring loaded flaps (usually a pair, each semi circular) usually
mounted immediately before the ducting connects to the fan output
spigot.

They are pushed open by airflow from the fan being on, then when fan
is off they shut due to their springs. You usually hear them as they
"slap" shut after the fan is switched off...

They can't be fitted to cooker hoods. The grease soon jams them.

Usually the metal filters stops much backdraught.

Rubbish - mine works even after 31 years. The filters in the hood collect
thgrease.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England