Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using a 16A Schuko socket

On 28/01/2020 17:43, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 19:18, wrote:
On 27/01/2020 16:58, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 15:19,
wrote:

You need a safety interlock to ensure that the cable only goes live
once it is plugged-in to the car. Charge points contain a protocol
controller to handle comms with the car and to enable a contactor
once safe so to do, they also have an RCD. Finally, they're supposed
to be TT'd to ensure that supply and car ground potentials are similar.

More specifically they have a type A RCD.

TT is not always a requirement. However when it is you often have to
TT more than the car charger.

I don't see how that lines-up with 722.411.4, which says
(paraphrasing) that a PME earth SHALL not be used for an outdoor
vehicle charging point, with a few exceptions that would not normally
apply.

It's a while since I did the installation course and I have only fitted
one charging point since I went on it.

Actually the NICEIC bloke said to treat both TNS and TNC-S as the same
thing as the UK's electrical infrastructure is ****.

I believe that you are correct and "most if not all" of PME outdoor
installs required a TT installation. The big problem was that you also
had to TT any other circuits that you might be able to touch whilst
touching the car. You were then given a picture of a bloke with long
arms that could touch his car and then his outside lights, electric
gates or outside socket (not all at the same time he did not have 3 arms).

If I can find the installation book I'll quite happily scan it for you
and then the next time I have to install a car charging point (Christ
knows when) or the subject appears on the newsgroup you can look the
info up for me and send me the details whilst I am down the pub having a
pint:-)

Seriously, I will have to read that installation book again and if you
do want a copy I'll do one for you when I have time.

Thanks for the offer but I've already installed mine and, having moved
house for the first time in 30+ years, have no desire to move again for
sufficiently far in the future that I won't be installing my own charge
point :-)

OOI I just stumbled-across a relevant vid from John Ward:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q87H7aIujjA
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/01/2020 11:00, wrote:
On 28/01/2020 17:43, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 19:18,
wrote:
On 27/01/2020 16:58, ARW wrote:
On 27/01/2020 15:19,
wrote:

[...]

So I remembered correctly. "Most if not all PME etc". But basically it's
going to be TT if outdoors in a domestic property.

PS Apparently PV is making a comeback.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

PS Apparently PV is making a comeback.

But the SEG is only paying 3 to 5p a unit, and then only for what you
actually export, rather than what you generate, but use yourself.

Schuko socket (further difficulty) Scott[_17_] UK diy 14 January 12th 19 12:09 AM
Schuko socket Scott[_17_] UK diy 45 November 26th 18 04:16 PM
Using a 16A appliance in a 13A socket? JP Coetzee UK diy 86 September 23rd 17 12:23 PM
schuko 2 pin wiring walkage UK diy 4 January 20th 05 12:17 PM
schuko 2 pin wiring Zikki Malambo UK diy 1 January 19th 05 12:05 PM