Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen Sink Traps

I am getting to the point where I need to consider the plumbing of our sink unit which will have a washing machine on one side and a dishwasher on the other. I am considering one of these for the two waste hoses

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-...ite-40mm/6295p

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting? Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular issues.. The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape at the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be awkward to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2020 12:59, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I am getting to the point where I need to consider the plumbing of our sink unit which will have a washing machine on one side and a dishwasher on the other. I am considering one of these for the two waste hoses

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-...ite-40mm/6295p

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting? Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular issues. The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape at the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be awkward to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard

My washing machine waste pipe has corrugated walls so it would be
difficult to get a good seal to the Screwfix fitting. Moving the washing
machine in and out of position is something I have to do to often.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 January 2020 16:53:17 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Our washing machine has a corrugated hose but fitted with a rubber end so that should not be a problem making a seal. Having said it now no doubt Murphy's law will apply. Oh well.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-1-bowl-sink-kit-trap-white-40mm/6295p

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting?
Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular
issues..
The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape
at
the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be
awkward
to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard

I've exactly the same arrangement. Generally works fine, except for the
washing machine waste, which is fed from a pump in the cellar - with some
force. This then pushes some of the water up into the sink. Never enough to be
a flooding type problem, but smelly if it hasn't been used in a while, which
I don't much like the thought of.

I tend to put the sink plugs in when using the washing machine, but given the
pressure from the pump I reckon it's just a matter of time before something
gives. So one of my jobs-to-do is a separate waste for the washing machine.

Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky Wrote in message:
I am getting to the point where I need to consider the plumbing of our sink unit which will have a washing machine on one side and a dishwasher on the other. I am considering one of these for the two waste hoses

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-...ite-40mm/6295p

Any gotchas such as siphoning or other issues using this type of fitting? Currently the dishwasher feeds into something like with no particular issues. The washing machine feeds into a stand pipe type but because of the shape at the back it prevents it pushing all the way back and it is going to be awkward to place a similar type in the neighbouring cupboard.

Richard

I remember using one of these (or similar) in such arrangements,
presumably to replicate the air gap of the usual standpipe
setup...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wash...-Syphon-Connec
tion/p/420182

I think it was mentioned in the then dishwasher destructions so
for a few quid I bunged one in in-line...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/