Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default advice about sink traps

There seem to a number of different sink traps - 'P' trap, bottle
trap, antivac bottle, antisyphon etc

Can some kind soul point me to a source of information about the
relative differences, and uses please. TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
There seem to a number of different sink traps - 'P' trap, bottle
trap, antivac bottle, antisyphon etc

Can some kind soul point me to a source of information about the
relative differences, and uses please. TIA

Well, as I'm sure you're aware, a trap is basically a U bend which holds
(i.e. "traps") some of the water you flush down the sink. This is is
so that bad smells from the sewage system can not get back into the room.

The different types simply have the outgoing waste pipe presenting at
different angles.

So, with a P trap, the waste pipe exits horizontally. A bottle trap also
has horizontal exit, but takes up less space.

With an S trap, the waste pipe exits vertically. A slimline pedestal
trap also has vertical exit, but takes up less space.

Anti-syphon and anti-vacuum are (as far as I know), different terms for
the same thing.

Normally, the pressure in the sewage system is the same as atmoshpheric
pressure. This means that if you had (say) a conventional P trap made
out of clear plastic, you would notice that the water levels either side
of the U bend are equal.

However, under certain circumstances, the pressure in the sewage system
can become reduced which means that the residual water in the U bend
gets sucked down the drain and the smell-sealing effect stops, leading
to a nasty niff in the room.

AIUI, Anti-syphon bottle traps have clever bits inside that allow the
pressure to equalise without losing the residual water in the U bend
(which isn't actually a U bend in a bottle trap, but does the same job).

http://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage...496/traps.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
There seem to a number of different sink traps - 'P' trap, bottle
trap, antivac bottle, antisyphon etc

Can some kind soul point me to a source of information about the
relative differences, and uses please. TIA

www.google.co.uk
common sense really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Dave, very interesting.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Kitchen faucet / sink advice RnR Home Repair 5 May 22nd 07 08:42 PM
Advice on gurgling sink... dmc UK diy 8 June 20th 06 08:27 PM
Urgent! undermount stainless sink advice need!!! John Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 05:26 PM
Urgent! undermount stainless sink advice need!!! John UK diy 9 April 18th 06 10:14 PM
"J" & "P" Under Sink Drain Traps: Differences Between ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 January 20th 06 09:57 AM